Duckling Not Getting On Feet

WhiteDuck

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2024
Hi there!

A long story short we are first time hatchers who had an incubator all setup and working before we recently got hit with a cyclone. Due to losing power for 5 days we moved our moscovey duck eggs under a broody chicken (within an hour of losing power). Once the storm passed and we got power back we moved them back into the incubator to see if any of them had a chance.

Alot of them become inactive upon candling but 2 kept going. Leading up to the 35 day mark one externally pipped 4 days early... I kept an eye on it for 48 hours but than decided it was time to assist. upon breaking the shell away carefully the poor thing appeared to be shrink wrapped. Throughout the day I slowly assisted until it pushed itself out. No blood and its yolk was absorbed.

The duckling has been chirping and moving alot but it is yet to stand up. Its been sliding around on its belly with its legs behind it. Its got my stumped. Did the unfortunate chain of events cause an issue for the duckling or do I give it more time and vitamins to try assist it getting on its feet.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

A few things maybe going on
If an tv goo from the egg dried on baby it can make wings , legs , neck ect be glued in certain positions
Next is the bator floor plastic slippery ? Most bators are so I add non slip shelf liner to mine
This prevents them slipping when first trying to get their footing
Babies that have hard hatches often take up to 24 hours to get going
I would put a towel or something theg will give baby grip to try abc move
How long has it been since it hatched ?

I would put it in a tea cup so it’s legs are in the correct position asap. It can take extra long after an assisted hatch to get their strength up. You can give it a little bit of water with a pinch of sugar in it.
How should i position the duckling in the teacup? Thankyou!

A few things maybe going on
If an tv goo from the egg dried on baby it can make wings , legs , neck ect be glued in certain positions
Next is the bator floor plastic slippery ? Most bators are so I add non slip shelf liner to mine
This prevents them slipping when first trying to get their footing
Babies that have hard hatches often take up to 24 hours to get going
I would put a towel or something theg will give baby grip to try abc move
How long has it been since it hatched ?
Ive put a some grippier stuff on the bottom to help it now.

Its been just short of 24 hours

Back
Top Bottom