Is My Hen a Rooster????

Wolferstyle

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2019
So I got my hens from tractor supply and they were supposed to be pullets and they are now about 6 or 7 months old and all of them have already started laying except for one which we thought that they were mistaken with because he looked like a young cockrel. I raised a rooster before but I really think this one is Transgender ( missing an ovary kind of deal) but he is starting to grow spurs and he has the pointy/shiny feathers on his neck and his wings aren't split so that also is a sign for a rooster but he has kept the little comb for about 2 months without it growing. When I had my other rooster he was fully matured within 4 to 5 months. Although he will go look at the eggs that the other hens layed and push them under him gently and then sit on them. Then he will leave and there would be no sign or interest of wanting to lay an egg.
IMG_20191229_085301375.jpg
IMG_20200215_105704220.jpg
IMG_20200215_105710272.jpg
IMG_20200215_105648139.jpg
it's a Rhode Island Red

So I got my hens from tractor supply and they were supposed to be pullets and they are now about 6 or 7 months old and all of them have already started laying except for one which we thought that they were mistaken with because he looked like a young cockrel. I raised a rooster before but I really think this one is Transgender ( missing an ovary kind of deal) but he is starting to grow spurs and he has the pointy/shiny feathers on his neck and his wings aren't split so that also is a sign for a rooster but he has kept the little comb for about 2 months without it growing. When I had my other rooster he was fully matured within 4 to 5 months. Although he will go look at the eggs that the other hens layed and push them under him gently and then sit on them. Then he will leave and there would be no sign or interest of wanting to lay an egg. View attachment 2026905View attachment 2026911View attachment 2026912View attachment 2026914 it's a Rhode Island Red
She's a pullet.. just maturing later as many do when raised through winter... but eggs will be coming soon according to comb color and behavior described. :)

Investigating lay boxes and practicing, shortly before starting is quite normal. :celebrate

A bunch of my friends older layers sport spurs. In fact lots of hens have spurs and some even crow... and still lay eggs. :eek:

So I got my hens from tractor supply and they were supposed to be pullets and they are now about 6 or 7 months old and all of them have already started laying except for one which we thought that they were mistaken with because he looked like a young cockrel. I raised a rooster before but I really think this one is Transgender ( missing an ovary kind of deal) but he is starting to grow spurs and he has the pointy/shiny feathers on his neck and his wings aren't split so that also is a sign for a rooster but he has kept the little comb for about 2 months without it growing. When I had my other rooster he was fully matured within 4 to 5 months. Although he will go look at the eggs that the other hens layed and push them under him gently and then sit on them. Then he will leave and there would be no sign or interest of wanting to lay an egg. View attachment 2026905View attachment 2026911View attachment 2026912View attachment 2026914 it's a Rhode Island Red
Looks like a hen to me. Some hens have spurs too. Beautiful

Back
Top Bottom