Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AngieandSP, Jan 30, 2016.

1. AngieandSP

AngieandSP New Egg

Jan 30, 2016
    Hi I am new to the site and this is my first time with chickens. I'm trying to figure out if my hen is broody or not? She is always laying on her eggs that she lays and I've let her keep them in the hopes of having chicks. She hasn't layed any new ones and she gets a little puffy and clucks at me when I try to take them or touch her. I've tried taking one of the eggs out and putting it in front of her and she just tucks it right back under her. Is she broody?

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Sounds like she's broody.

3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Welcome! I agree; sounds like a broody girl to me too! It's a good idea to candle the eggs after about a week or so to see how everything is developing as well.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

5. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    X2 I'm not trying to be a smart butt but has the rooster been trying to do his part? How old is she? Good luck. Hope you get some chicks. :weee

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She is exhibiting normal broody behavior. Do you have a rooster with your hens? If not her eggs will not be fertile and won't hatch no matter how long she sits on them. If that is the case, you may want to get a couple "fertile" eggs from another farm, etc. and switch out hers for the viable ones.

She should be made to leave the nest at least twice a day so she can eat, drink and poo. Some broody's get so serious they will not leave the nest and they end up starving. So you do have to watch out for them. It is also a good time to switch eggs without getting attacked.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I'd say she broody. Congratulations!

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi welcome - as other members have said, she's broody for sure!

CT

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on drumstick diva's comments. Hens will go broody whether the eggs are fertile or not. I've never had a rooster and still had a Black Australorp that wanted to sit on eggs for days (and got really cranky when I tried to move her to get the eggs out).

If the eggs are fertile, I hope you have a good hatch. What breed is your girl?

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by