Is my hen doing this?? (Egg breaking)

TanisGirl

Chirping
Jul 6, 2018
So, as some may know, we adopted a small flock from the neighbors who inherited these 4 gals with the house they just bought. We quickly determined that only 1 is still laying and she’s our absolute favorite (follows me around like a puppy and squats down and does this little Warner Bros style foot “patter” when you go to pick her up), but lately, the majority of her eggs are broken when I get them (still warm from laying). There’s been 1 time where the egg was annihilated -yolk all over nesting box, shell all the way down in the bottom of the coop (we startled each other that day when I was looking to see if she’d lain and didn’t know she was in there, working away). Normally, it’s just like this though (see pic) and I can’t tell if it’s getting damaged because there isn’t enough bedding (mixture of shavings and straw) and it’s getting squashed under her weight or if she’s actually psychotic and breaking her eggs? Also, is it possible that 1 of the other 3 old broads would break her eggs? Didn’t know if that was possible...

57A57C1B-A07C-48EA-91D1-759370F033B7.jpeg

If you take that egg in the kitchen and crack it open on the edge of a bowl would you say the shell feels super thick or thin?
Sometimes if you take the entire empty shell and crush it in your hand this question is easier to answer.

Because despite the little bumps on the outside of the shell it actually looks thin where the crack is.

Is anyone kicking the eggs out of the nest?

Do you have more than 1 nesting box?

Do you pad the area around the box with bedding as well?

If you take that egg in the kitchen and crack it open on the edge of a bowl would you say the shell feels super thick or thin?
Hi Stacey!
Yes, fairly delicate. They were super calcium deficient when I got them a few weeks ago, I tried to let them just free eat the oyster shells, but they weren’t touching it. So, I started mixing it in with their food and sprinkling in with their scratch. It’s gotten way better, but not where I’d like it to be.

Sometimes if you take the entire empty shell and crush it in your hand this question is easier to answer.

Because despite the little bumps on the outside of the shell it actually looks thin where the crack is.

Is anyone kicking the eggs out of the nest?
I haven’t seen it happen, so I don’t know. That’s why I was asking if anyone is familiar with that in either direction (yes, they do or no, they don’t)

Do you have more than 1 nesting box?

Yes, 3 in that coop. 2 in the other.

Do you pad the area around the box with bedding as well?
Yes

Yes they will sometimes either sit on someone’s else’s egg or kick it out of the nest.
Just girls being girls I’m
Afraid.

And some like nests all fluffy-while others like it spartan. You’ll learn their whacky personalities over time.

Oyster shell is best really but some might not either be taking in what they should or their body might not be utilizing it optimally.
Here’s option#2
I save eggs shells. When I have a big ziplock full of them saved up in the fridge I spread them on a baking dish and bake them to dry and sterilize them then crush them after they’ve cooled. They are great in your garden but also do some reason my girls act as if a handful of this is a fantastic treat.
I also just smash up the shell and stir it in when I’m making them scrambled eggs.
Option #3
Do you have any idea who is laying these this eggs?
Caltrate is a human calcium suppliment.
You could give each of your girls one crushed up for several days to see if it makes a quick difference in their eggs.
Tums will do in a pinch.
Bonus option :

Maybe you need some dividers between your nesting boxes. Some like privacy.
Some girls get in and out fairly quickly while others like to fuss and get everything just so then sit for a while and ponder life and don’t like someone staring at them.

Yes, this^^^

More bedding usually helps.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
How old are these birds?
If they are around 18 months, and you live in the northern hemisphere, they may be ramping down production getting ready to molt. You can get some funky eggs around molting time.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-9-10_9-8-48.png

Back
Top Bottom