Is my hen egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannahmaoo, Oct 14, 2014.

1. hannahmaoo

hannahmaoo New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Yesterday, we saved 5 chickens from a man who was going to kill them due to "not laying" - although we did get 3 eggs out of them today!
    However, one of the girls has a bulge near her vent which is very red and sore, it also seems to be contracting constantly. We have felt around and can feel a lump in this buldge that we believe could possibly be an egg. We were wondering if this meant that she is egg bound or is this another type of problem like a tumour or something?[​IMG]
    I'm sorry for the poor quality of the picture, it was dark out at the time!
    Any information would be great! We would love to get her back to full health and are willing to try anything to put her out of her pain!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is common for the vent area to contract a lot, even when a hen is fine. However, it is still possible that something is wrong with your hen. The lump may be an egg, something else, or nothing to worry about.

To check for an egg, lubricate a gloved finger and stick it into the hen's vent. In most egg binding cases, you'll be able to feel a hard, roundish object--the egg. If you feel one, soak the hen's lower half in warm (90-95 degree F) water for at least 15 minutes. The warm water allows the muscles to relax, and often will let the hen pass the egg.

If the soaking doesn't result in anything, dry the hen off the best you can and put her in a quiet, darkened area. Give her some sort of calcium supplement, whether it be oystershell, eggshell, a Tums, etc. Calcium strengthens the oviduct's muscles, and often helps an egg be laid. If a hen is going to live, egg binding usually doesn't last more than 2 days. If it lasts longer, the chances of the hen living are small.

If you don't feel an egg, then it is possible that the swelling is due to internal laying or a tumor. Or, it could be normal for that particular hen. If she acts normal otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. I would be sure, though, to dust that hen and your other rescues for mites/lice, which could cause the reddened area.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

Along with egg binding, two other possible causes of a swollen abdomen are Egg Yolk Peronitis and internal laying. Both commonly afflict older hens. I'd do research on those and see if the symptoms sound like your bird.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Where was the lump you felt? These pictures should help you determine if what you felt was an egg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by