Is my hen ok? 2 eggs at once?!

Pics

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone. My pullet now hen as of today laid her first egg but there were two kinda? She laid it on the roosting bars and on the tray directly underneath there was a soft shell kinda egg with yolk under it. So at first I thought the contents of the egg maybe spilled out but that wasn’t the case and I cracked open the egg and there was a yolk in there too. Did she lay a soft shelled egg and a regular egg at the same time? Is this normal for a first time egg? Is there something wrong with her health? Pictures of the egg on the tray bellow the bars, egg on the bars, and cracked open egg in a bowl. I am very worried about my hens health and am looking to you guys for advice. They get fee choice oyster shells 24/7

Attachments

• 85BF8E60-D84D-42BF-B0A2-03F323D8AD89.jpeg
    85BF8E60-D84D-42BF-B0A2-03F323D8AD89.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 22
  • E72A0518-8B06-4E02-A9BA-CF0B469B8071.jpeg
    E72A0518-8B06-4E02-A9BA-CF0B469B8071.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 16
  • C6D4B4D0-A52D-4DF4-AAD5-9604AE310339.jpeg
    C6D4B4D0-A52D-4DF4-AAD5-9604AE310339.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 16
I wouldn't worry too much about it. First eggs can usually be a bit funky (so I wouldn't recommend eating them).
So they can sometimes when they start out lay two eggs at the same time? The fact that there were two seperate eggs from her is what’s throwing me off. And soft shelled too! I thought they only could produce one egg yolk a day?

New pullets can often release multiple ovum. It takes only a short while for a hen to make most of the egg, but the shell needs around 24 to add to an egg. When multiple ovum are present, they sometime they get made into one egg, a double yolk egg, and other times you get what you got. One with a shell and one without.

Eggs without shells just means they were pushed out before the shell was applied. It has nothing to do with calcium, and sometimes had to do with stress. The beginning of laying can be a stressful time on some pullets.

If she has oyster shell, don't worry. First eggs are weird!
New pullets can often release multiple ovum. It takes only a short while for a hen to make most of the egg, but the shell needs around 24 to add to an egg. When multiple ovum are present, they sometime they get made into one egg, a double yolk egg, and other times you get what you got. One with a shell and one without.

Eggs without shells just means they were pushed out before the shell was applied. It has nothing to do with calcium, and sometimes had to do with stress. The beginning of laying can be a stressful time on some pullets.
@oldhenlikesdogs - you posted this twice might want to remove 1.

Shes still a pullet until shes one. :) Pullet eggs are usually irregular as she works out what shes doing - like in human adolescence when hormones kick in and it takes awhile for things to be normal.

Just keep an eye on her. If you see more soft shelled eggs, you might want to address it because it can be serious. New layers have lots of kinks to work through and this is one of those things that you'll want to watch closely. Soft shelled eggs do happen with new and old layers. @azygous has lots of personal experience with this and has helped me and many others with this (and countless other things. She's pretty awesome).

It's always a good idea for anyone with layers to keep Calcium Citrate + D3 on hand. Tums (aka calcium carbonate) will work in a pinch but calcium citrate is absorbed more easily. It's NOT a good idea to administer such a large a boost of calcium unless it's absolutely necessary, but some of us have had to use it. At this point, unless advised differently, I would just keep a eye on eggs and your pullets behavior. Laying can be all over the place whenever they begin laying. I wish you the very best. Please share some pictures of your new layer. We'd love to see her. Congratulations!

Editing to say that it IS a good idea to go ahead and administer calcium to be proactive ~ per @azygous :) Thank you for the help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom