Is my hen practicing being broody or...?

Scarlit

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Texas, United States
One of my first EE's, Carmel, is 8 months old and laying. Usually once she lays she'll sit there for a long time, making me just reach under her to get eggs. She would get up and walk off when I do that. Yesterday she was sitting on them but didn't lay, I reached my hand under her and she hissed at me! It was scary as heck! I was hoping she had gone broody and I didn't see her leave the eggs the rest of the time. I moved the water and food into a corner near her so it would be easier for her to access. This morning she wasn't sitting on them but she did pluck some of her feathers out for the eggs. She hasn't sat on them again the entire day. She also didn't lay today.

So I'm wondering, is she just practicing being broody, is she having short spells of broodiness, or is it something else I don't know.

One of my first EE's, Carmel, is 8 months old and laying. Usually once she lays she'll sit there for a long time, making me just reach under her to get eggs. She would get up and walk off when I do that. Yesterday she was sitting on them but didn't lay, I reached my hand under her and she hissed at me! It was scary as heck! I was hoping she had gone broody and I didn't see her leave the eggs the rest of the time. I moved the water and food into a corner near her so it would be easier for her to access. This morning she wasn't sitting on them but she did pluck some of her feathers out for the eggs. She hasn't sat on them again the entire day. She also didn't lay today.

So I'm wondering, is she just practicing being broody, is she having short spells of broodiness, or is it something else I don't know.

Sounds like she may be thinking about it.

I've had hens that would screech or peck at me that never went broody - they just didn't like being disturbed on the nest. BUT the fact that your pullet is not laying, but has been on the eggs, plus the belly plucking - is an indicator that she is thinking about going broody, but just not all the way there yet. To know she is ready, look for her on eggs for 2 consecutive nights instead of roosting. When she stays on the nest for 2 consecutive nights, she's likely broody and won't abandon the eggs.

Okay, thanks. :)
The other night I saw her sleeping on the eggs, but I didn't check last night.
This afternoon one of my frizzle cochin hens, Mula sat on them. She screeched and pecked me today. It was kind of cute and kind of scary. She fell asleep on them tonight and wouldn't let my EE on.

Last edited:
My EE is not the least bit interested in being broody, but my cochin is. I think you might have more luck with your frizzle than the EE - or you might be lucky and have two who are interested in being broody.

Yeah, that's why I got my silkies...but it seems my EE's ( except one out of the three) are more interested in going broody than the silkies. Cx
I'm hoping one chicken will go broody and will cause my entire flock to go broody... I really want some chicks! xD
What do you think the odds of a barred rock going broody are?

What do you think the odds of a barred rock going broody are?
Hatchery BR, virtually zero. I have a 7 year old hatchery BR that has never been broody.

Now if you got a exhibition quality BR, they are broody as heck. And great mothers too. Mine went broody twice in one year.

Nice, might look into getting one.

So my cochin went broody! :D She's been a great mom so far.
My EE is somewhat broody, she sits on them when my Cochin goes to get food/water/poop once every few hours.. My Cochin stripped her chest and now there's a bunch of black feathers all over the nesting box.
Thanks to anyone who answered. :)

I have a GC that I think is practicing. She's never growled before and she is now when the other hens come by. She will go in in the morning and stay but by after noon she out and about. Today I noticed she's kicking the other hens out of the nest or rather not letting them in when shes in there just sitting. Hasn't slept in there yet though. I hope she gets there. I want chicks. Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom