Is my hen sick?

I'd like to mention that coccidiosis can damage the intestines which can cause the bird to not be able to absorb the proper nutrition.

Please stop the scratch and treats immediately. Feed her only a crumble or pelleted chicken feed.
Preferably a higher protein one for now.

What exactly did the vet give you to treat her with?
Did they check her well for lice?

I noticed you mentioned you had her for a week, where did she come from? And did you quarantine her for possible diseases so your not spreading it to your existing flock?

I'd like to mention that coccidiosis can damage the intestines which can cause the bird to not be able to absorb the proper nutrition.

Please stop the scratch and treats immediately. Feed her only a crumble or pelleted chicken feed.

I can’t remember the name of the medication. It is .55mL twice per day, every 12 hours for 5 days. It’s yellow and smells sweet. I can check tomorrow (already in bed - such a long day!). He didn’t mention live and he’s not a poultry expert. I am hoping to find a poultry expert tomorrow since it’s a weekday. No one would take us today other than two vets familiar with chickens but not experts.

I noticed you mentioned you had her for a week, where did she come from? And did you quarantine her for possible diseases so your not spreading it to your existing flock?
I didn’t have an existing flock. My three hens came from the same farm.

Medicine is Sulfadimethoxine Suspension

How's our patient doing?
Sadly, she's not doing well again. I did get her to free-range a bit and found her some worms. But she's been isolated in our dog crate in the house recovering. She's mostly slept so far this morning. She was doing SO WELL yesterday... She seemed to be turning the corner and one thing I thought of is that I gave her some apples yesterday and I had also given her some apples right before she got sick. I wonder if this chicken is apple-intolerant. :(

Observations and taking notes are very helpful. But that could be a problem for your chicken. You should consider writing down the treats your giving her for the day so it can be tracked to see if certain foods are bothering her. Not all chickens know what's bad for them or try to avoid it. Avoid apples seeds it has cyanide and poisonous.

Back
Top Bottom