Is my hen traumatized?

Genetix

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
So hi there, I'm new to having a chicken, and i accidentally left my coop open, and one of my hens got out. As i was chasing her, she slipped in one of my neighbor's lot, and there were 2 dogs. The dogs chased my hen through their back lot, and i heard my hen scream. Luckily my neighbor was fast enough to see the ruckus before i can call him. After he handed my chicken, she was strangely calm, her mouth was open, having some saliva drip, and i checked her back, having 2 wound near her butt and having some feathers gone. What i am worried about is that before she was full of energy and always hungry, but now she just stares far away with her mouth open. Please can anyone tell me if she's ok? I'm just 19 yrs old, and my dad's away for a week

She has a pretty deep wound. I would get some chlorhexidene and dilute it to 2% with water. Weak povidone iodine is also good. If those are not available, normal saline is fine to use to clean the wounds twice a day. You can make saline by boiling a liter of water with 2 tsp (9 grams) of table salt.) Cool it and use in a spray bottle or pour it on. After cleaning the wounds, apply plain Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment so the wounds do not dry out.

She sounds like she is in shock right now, and I would keep her inna quiet basket or crate isolated. Offer fluids every 2 hours, and leave food within reach. Hopefully, she has no internal injuries, and will heal in time.

It sounds like she is in shock. Keeping her warm and giving her electrolytes will help her :) you can flush her wounds with saline and then either put maybe some neosporin on them or leave them, depending on how bad they are (pictures would be good). Chickens heal from some pretty shocking wounds (a rooster I had used to accidentally rip holes in the hens’ sides when he mated them, I duct taped them after that, but the wounds were super deep. They healed with almost no care). Hopefully she will be just fine!
OHHH! You duct taped the roosters spurs? The first time I read this I thought you duct taped the hens' wounds and I thought, Whaaaat? And they healed? Okay, now I understand, lol, sorry it's past my bedtime, lol! :lau

It sounds like she is in shock. Keeping her warm and giving her electrolytes will help her :) you can flush her wounds with saline and then either put maybe some neosporin on them or leave them, depending on how bad they are (pictures would be good). Chickens heal from some pretty shocking wounds (a rooster I had used to accidentally rip holes in the hens’ sides when he mated them, I duct taped them after that, but the wounds were super deep. They healed with almost no care). Hopefully she will be just fine!

Do you have a small crate you can put her in, like a pet taxi, or a dog pen, to separate her from the other chickens? This will keep them from pecking at her wounds and making them worse, as they will peck at anything red. Depending on the severity of the wounds and where you live, you may also have to protect her from flies. You don't want her to get flystrike, which is when flies lay eggs in the wounds. Can you tell us where approximately in the world you are located?

Can you post pictures of the wounds? I would suggest you offer her some sugar water or electrolytes. Hold it up near her beak but don't force her to drink it. You can also put a drop on your finger and place it on the crease of her beak, being careful not to get it in her nostrils. She may be in shock a bit.
Um what are electrolytes? I also washed the wounds, but she's still a bit jumpy, but when the water washes her wounds, she became a little bit calm

Um what are electrolytes? I also washed the wounds, but she's still a bit jumpy, but when the water washes her wounds, she became a little bit calm
Do you have any GatorAde on hand? Or can you get some PediaLyte? If so, dilute it a little ... I'd say about 50% but I don't know exactly. Somebody will correct me, I'm sure!

Do you have any GatorAde on hand? Or can you get some PediaLyte? If so, dilute it a little ... I'd say about 50% but I don't know exactly. Somebody will correct me, I'm sure!
Thanks for the advice, will try it now, i brought the Gatorade and gave it to the hen, and she intakes it little by little

Back
Top Bottom