Is my it possible my Ameraucana hasn't started laying after 6 months?

cowchipss

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2011
I have a flock of four pullets including (1) Ameraucana. The other three breeds (Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Silver Laced Wyandotte) started laying between 4.5-5 months old. I've seen them on the nest but I've yet to see Carla (my Ameraucana) display laying "behaviors".

I went for variety in my flock since I can only have a limited amount due to my location. I was hoping for some blue/green eggs
hmm.png

Either way, she's a beautiful bird with the most charismatic personality. I love her coloring, "cheeks", beard, and hawk-like beak. She won't go unappreciated if it turns out she's not producing green eggs.
wink.png

Here are some pictures from the last three months:

87786_summer_2011_118.jpg

87786_img_3528.jpg

87786_img_3512.jpg

She is really pretty! I can totally believe that she is not laying yet...I have a flock of blue Americanaus that are not laying yet either! They are nearing 8 months I think! Everyone is saying that they are really slow to develop....they better start soon is all I can say! I am tired of feeding them! Not a single blue egg yet. good luck with yours...I have my fingers crossed with mine. Terri O

It is possible she hasn't layed yet. My EEs and my Ameraucanas both began laying about a month after everyone else. They take a bit longer to mature.

Quote:
I'm with you! I've got 4 Ameraucana pullets (7 months) & 2 EE's (7 & 9 months)--both the EE's are laying. I'm not playing the waiting game anymore--when it happens, it happens. My luck, they wont start until spring!

One of my girls didn't start laying until she was over nine months. Her sister started at around 4 months, but Charlotte took her sweet time before she layed her very first perfectly round green egg. She has literally laid an egg every day since; although, her eggs are still on the small side. Her sister Harriet laid large blue eggs and would lay about 5 eggs a week up til she died a few weeks ago. I think Charlotte is still going so strong because she took a bit longer to mature and gave herself some extra time to grow. One of my young girls is exhibiting all the signs that she is getting ready to lay, but she is so young I wish she would wait. Poor thing knows something is going on with her body, but just doesn't know what.

Quote:
Wow, eight months... Carla is only 6 months old. Blue Ameraucanas are on my wish list....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom