Is my new chook ok?

licoriceallsort

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
Hello everyone,

I got two new chooks to add to my flock, I kept them separately and one got away (we have no idea how or where she went). When we introduced the one girl to the flock, Luna, we were a little worried because she is a bantam and the others are large breeds, it never seemed too violent although the others seem to still be rejecting her after a week. I came home today to find her out in the rain by herself. She now has a strange cough/gargle and stretches her neck. I have brought her inside to dry her off and will keep her here until I know if she is ok. I think she may have picked up a respiratory disease from the cold but am unsure.. any suggestions? If everything is well and good with Luna and I take her back to the flock how do I help her to become part of the flock?

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It can be very difficult to introduce a single bird into an established flock. You might try getting her another friend first (another new bird or one of your quieter hens) and letting them get acquainted someplace away from the flock, then introduce them both into the flock together

Back
Top Bottom