Is my paint silkie a purebred?

Color has really nothing to do with if they are pure silkies. And paint plus paint doesn't mean you'll get all paints.
paint has a genetic 'recipe' to accomplish, I think lavender is usually part of the recipe.
Maybe this can help.
https://www.pto.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2793
Paint is just one copy of dominant white over black? Just take a bird that is dominant white and mate them to any black bird and you'll get all paints. Lavender isn't part of any recipe. You can include lavender for a lavender paint (resulting bird will have grey instead of black spots) but that's not too common.

Paint is just one copy of dominant white over black? Just take a bird that is dominant white and mate them to any black bird and you'll get all paints. Lavender isn't part of any recipe. You can include lavender for a lavender paint (resulting bird will have grey instead of black spots) but that's not too common.
I don't know, I was reading through the website I found and that's how it was explained. :idunno I know you can get blue/black/splash, but I thought splash and paint were two seperate things.
I didn't realize I said lavender, I have no idea where I got that.

I don't know, I was reading through the website I found and that's how it was explained. :idunno I know you can get blue/black/splash, but I thought splash and paint were two seperate things.
I didn't realize I said lavender, I have no idea where I got that.
The logic for bbs and paint is the same as lavender. Paint is just one copy of dominant white over black. :) Blue paint would be dominant white over blue! Splash and paint are two separate things :) Paint pairings will never randomly give BBS chicks just like BBS breeding won't give paint chicks. Now theoretically I suppose that a dominant white chicken is "secretly" blue or splash hidden under the dominant white (since dominant white just further restricts eumelanin similar to blue and splash). I'm not sure the logistics of this but I assume this is theoretically plausible. I suppose crossing them out could randomly give BBS chicks but for all normal purposes, dominant white should just be hiding black :)

Back
Top Bottom