Is my pekin duckling okay? black feathers on head

Tarina-Rose

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2015
My pekin duckling appears to have some little black feathers on her head, is this normal?

Are you sure those are feathers? Forgive me, but sometimes ducklings are so nervous about being picked up, folks don't get a real close look. Has anyone been painting? It could happen, that a duckling might get spattered or smudged. They can get into things.

It's hard to see in the picture -- do they look like feathers? because to me it looks like dirt, maybe paint like Amiga said, or even a little poop? ducks are so curious and will "investigate" anything that looks interesting to them. anyway, if in person you really believe them to be feathers, is it possible it is not a pure breed Pekin? Could it be a mixed breed?

They are usually inside we are just transitioning them to the coop, I was worried he/she picked up an illness. They are definitely feathers, I think she may just be a mix breed :)
Thankyou for your help!

P.S Sorry my Camera quality is very poor.

I just googled Muscovy ducks and I was surprised by all the red around their bills, if my duckies are Muscovies will they get that trait? :)

I just googled Muscovy ducks and I was surprised by all the red around their bills, if my duckies are Muscovies will they get that trait? :)

They sure will :) I have some muscovies too which are starting to get their red bits, they're such lovely, funny personalities, lots of people think that the red around their bills is unsightly but personally I just love it! It gives character :)

This is one of my 7 week old boys, so you can compare

Yeah, those look like Muscovies and the color they are as ducklings doesn't always match up to what color they will be as adults. Girl Muscovies get about as big as a pekin and won't have as much as a face mask as boy Muscovies do.

Back
Top Bottom