Is my pekin duckling okay? black feathers on head

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tarina-Rose, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Tarina-Rose

Tarina-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    My pekin duckling appears to have some little black feathers on her head, is this normal?[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are you sure those are feathers? Forgive me, but sometimes ducklings are so nervous about being picked up, folks don't get a real close look. Has anyone been painting? It could happen, that a duckling might get spattered or smudged. They can get into things.

3. duckyday4

duckyday4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2016
    It's hard to see in the picture -- do they look like feathers? because to me it looks like dirt, maybe paint like Amiga said, or even a little poop? ducks are so curious and will "investigate" anything that looks interesting to them. anyway, if in person you really believe them to be feathers, is it possible it is not a pure breed Pekin? Could it be a mixed breed?

4. Tarina-Rose

Jul 8, 2015
    They are usually inside we are just transitioning them to the coop, I was worried he/she picked up an illness. They are definitely feathers, I think she may just be a mix breed :)
    Thankyou for your help!
    [​IMG]

P.S Sorry my Camera quality is very poor.

5. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to tell you this but somebody tricked you, u have two beautiful white Muscovies!!! They look both like girls already to me. But don't worry Muscovies are sooo affectionate and love their handlers.

6. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Now I'm not for sure they are both girls bc I'm not there in person

7. Tarina-Rose

Jul 8, 2015
    I just googled Muscovy ducks and I was surprised by all the red around their bills, if my duckies are Muscovies will they get that trait? :)

8. nelleyoukai

nelleyoukai Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016

They sure will :) I have some muscovies too which are starting to get their red bits, they're such lovely, funny personalities, lots of people think that the red around their bills is unsightly but personally I just love it! It gives character :)

This is one of my 7 week old boys, so you can compare

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Male Muscovies get more of the red caruncles than do the females if I understand correctly.

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, those look like Muscovies and the color they are as ducklings doesn't always match up to what color they will be as adults. Girl Muscovies get about as big as a pekin and won't have as much as a face mask as boy Muscovies do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by