Is my Pekin really something else?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suburbanduckmom, Oct 16, 2009.

1. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    First, a little back story. My husband found a single duckling wandering around a parking lot. She was fairly naked on her back and wings. He brought her home, fell in love, and named her Daisy. We did a lot of research and talked to a vet and concluded that she was a Pekin. When she was about a month old we adopted another Pekin duckling to keep her company.

Now we notice a lot of differences between the two. I've never had ducks before. Daisy has a really large PINK bill, really long tail feathers, and a black spot on her head! Is she a mix breed?

Here is what she looked like as a duckling?

[​IMG]

Here is a picture where you can see her black spot.

[​IMG]

Here you can see her pink bill

[​IMG]

So is my Pekin really something else?

2. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Daisy is a Muscovy duck. I have a white Muscovy that looks almost identical to her, my ducks name is Daisy too:)

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Yep, Muscovy. Yummy. [​IMG]

4. suburbanduckmom

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    [​IMG] When will she get the red marks on her face? Are Muscovys good egg layers? I'm so excited. Tell me more about my girl!

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

[​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Muscovies usually lay large clutches in Spring and are great moms if you let them brood.

7. She won't quack like most ducks, I think muscovys hiss instead. She might lay several clutches in a summer, if you have a male she will hatch them out real well too. She will be able to fly. Oh! if you haven't found this already check this out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130753

8. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Regardless of what she is, SHE'S A KEEPER! - What a cutie. [​IMG]

9. suburbanduckmom

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Thanks everyone. We love her/him dearly and can't imagine our lives without ducks now. Its amazing how something so small can become such a large part of our lives. We are very excited to see the two different ducks grow up together.

If Daisy turns out to be a boy will it be able to breed with our female Pekin?

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:Yep... They can mate just like 2 different kinds of chickens, or 2 different dog breeds... The picture of Daisy as a duckling is ADORABLE!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by