Is my pigeon a cock or a hen?

degunuts

Chirping
Sep 28, 2020
Hey there! I just bought some pigeons to start off my loft, but two pigeons have been sort of going back in forth in a manner that looks like they’re trying to establish dominance. Is the black bird in these videos a cock or a hen? She lies still on her back, doesn’t really coo, and her toes are the same length. Thanks!
Pardon the small loft, it’s a rabbit hutch I’m holding them in while I get my actual loft set up.
Video of all my pigeons
Bird in question

It's hard to tell. If I had to guess, it is a hen...

Feel between its vent. Is the gap between two bones wider or smaller than the male you know is a male? If it's wider, it is likely a hen, so that she can lay eggs. I hope this helps!

It's hard to tell. If I had to guess, it is a hen...

Feel between its vent. Is the gap between two bones wider or smaller than the male you know is a male? If it's wider, it is likely a hen, so that she can lay eggs. I hope this helps!
Alright, thanks! I'll have to read into the vent thing since I'm new to pigeons and I probably wouldn't get it right without a bit more research. I changed my hens out, putting the black one in with the racing cock and the racing hen in with the brown cock, just to sort of let them cool off. They should still be a month or two too young to breed, but if I happen to get eggs anyway, a welcome surprise for me, and I would know that the cooing the brown bird was doing was a mating call!

Back
Top Bottom