Is my pigeon egg still viable?

Bdg1104

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Monroe, MI, USA
Hi there, last Sunday (Nov 10th) my Valencia figurata hen laid her first egg. The father is a German owl. She laid her second egg on Tuesday (Nov 12th.) Both eggs were very nicely formed and strong, which I was very happy about because she is a young hen and I was worried about her becoming egg bound, but all is well. The first egg unfortunately was rejected. It has fallen out of the nest and cracked a little bit so I'm assuming the parents tossed it out of the nest. One of my other pigeons ate half of it. Today I candled their second egg and saw no signs of development. Today would be day 4 and I was told that you should for sure be able to see signs of fertilization by day 5. Is it possible the veins will show up tomorrow or is this a dead egg?It is around 30 degrees where I am so it's possible it was not kept warm enough. I do have some heating panels in the nesting boxes and some hay for insulation. It usually stays about 60 degrees in the nesting box so I'm not sure if the cold is a problem or not. Thoughts? Really hoping I'll see some veins form within the next few days. If not I guess there is always next time!

:welcome Doubt cold is a factor. How old is your hen?
We're not sure, she was a rescue who was found living in front of a grocery store. I've had her for about 4 months and this was her first clutch with me so I'm assuming that she has just reached maturity. When she had a vet visit the vet said she was very young as well. If I had to guess I'd say she's about 6 months old.

We're not sure, she was a rescue who was found living in front of a grocery store. I've had her for about 4 months and this was her first clutch with me so I'm assuming that she has just reached maturity. When she had a vet visit the vet said she was very young as well. If I had to guess I'd say she's about 6 months old.
Old enough but individual variation comes into play. be sure to offer oyster shell grit. Tagging @Pyxis

Hi there, last Sunday (Nov 10th) my Valencia figurata hen laid her first egg. The father is a German owl. She laid her second egg on Tuesday (Nov 12th.) Both eggs were very nicely formed and strong, which I was very happy about because she is a young hen and I was worried about her becoming egg bound, but all is well. The first egg unfortunately was rejected. It has fallen out of the nest and cracked a little bit so I'm assuming the parents tossed it out of the nest. One of my other pigeons ate half of it. Today I candled their second egg and saw no signs of development. Today would be day 4 and I was told that you should for sure be able to see signs of fertilization by day 5. Is it possible the veins will show up tomorrow or is this a dead egg?It is around 30 degrees where I am so it's possible it was not kept warm enough. I do have some heating panels in the nesting boxes and some hay for insulation. It usually stays about 60 degrees in the nesting box so I'm not sure if the cold is a problem or not. Thoughts? Really hoping I'll see some veins form within the next few days. If not I guess there is always next time!
Hello :frow :welcome and the pigeon pages! Nice one rescuing the pigeons. Sorry to hear about the egg falling from the nest. Sometimes it just happens accidentally, sometimes they're rejected. I'd leave the egg with the hen now. Candle about day 7-8 if it's totally clear then it's definitely a no starter. Have you got some plastic eggs to replace it with? If she goes the full incubation time with no hatch she may well lay again. It will also depend on the weather. Shorter and colder days mean she may not lay again. But then again she might!

Hello :frow :welcome and the pigeon pages! Nice one rescuing the pigeons. Sorry to hear about the egg falling from the nest. Sometimes it just happens accidentally, sometimes they're rejected. I'd leave the egg with the hen now. Candle about day 7-8 if it's totally clear then it's definitely a no starter. Have you got some plastic eggs to replace it with? If she goes the full incubation time with no hatch she may well lay again. It will also depend on the weather. Shorter and colder days mean she may not lay again. But then again she might!

I did order some fake eggs just in case. Today is day 5 and I haven't seen any development yet. I will wait a couple more days and see. Hopefully she lays again. It is supposed to be pretty warm (winter wise) the next few weeks so we'll see. She laid her first week on the coldest day of the year so far. Lol! Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom