Is my Post Office Full of @#!& (hatcheries ship "illegally"?)

Btw, I wanted to add that we had a problem with our shipment, too. The chicks arrived at the post office on Sunday, and they didn't call come Monday morning. Around noon on Monday, we called to check on the chicks. They had put the chicks on the regular mail truck to be delivered to our house. We lost 23 of 26 chicks because they sat in very cold weather for two hours on the truck. After calling the post office to complain and doing research, it seems that the official policy is to hold for pick up. However, most people don't keep chickens and don't seem to realize the chicks need to be kept warm. If you search the forums here, there have been a LOT of issues with the post office and live chicks.

Quote:
I saw a post here on BYC recently that said rule #9 has changed. The PO apparently told him that the boxes could no longer be fastened together and sent as 1 package. We may need to verify that.

Quote:
Yes, if it's the same one I saw it was in the quail section. That's another case of the postal employee not knowing what he or she is talking about, I made sure to ask about it and my P.O. said it was fine. As long as the 'package' doesn't exceed the size limit for outside measurements they don't care how many you have stuck together.

Last edited:
Quote:
It depends upon what time of day you present it and where it's going, but they give you a commitment for either the next day or second day when you ship.

I doubt that Express Mail was required under her circumstances though.

I re-read that post, and I think you should ask McMurray why it was shipped as Express Mail. It is not required, and there is no reason why they would send it C.O.D. without permission from the customer.

Quote:
Yes, if it's the same one I saw it was in the quail section. That's another case of the postal employee not knowing what he or she is talking about, I made sure to ask about it and my P.O. said it was fine. As long as the 'package' doesn't exceed the size limit for outside measurements they don't care how many you have stuck together.

Good to know. Thank you for the info.
smile.png

Quote:
It depends upon what time of day you present it and where it's going, but they give you a commitment for either the next day or second day when you ship.

I doubt that Express Mail was required under her circumstances though.

Could be, but the pick-up delivery truck doesn't leave my post office until about 4 p.m., so that could be why. I've had only one time when a shipment was supposed to be delivered the next day and it didn't. They won't comp shipping for express unless it takes more than 3 days to deliver.

The USPS is a mess and local postmaster are making their own rules. I suggest you do the following. 1) Call McMurray and check on how they sent the chicks. Since they do this as a matter of practice they will give you the correct information. 2) Call the local postmaster and get an explanation as to why they did not hold the chicks then give you a call and why you were charged the extra money. 3) If you don't get a decent explanation and refund of your $30 call the postal inspector for your area. You're getting ripped off either by someone making his/her own rules or by your postman is scamming you.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with shipping live chicks, however, I do have lots of experience with problems with the post office in general so I can give you some ideas for future shipments.

Post Office problems seem to vary between Post Offices and the individual person doing your route. I went in to complain about repeated problems (you need to talk to the Postmaster-not just one of the window staff). I had horrible mis-delivery problems and was told that they had many complaints on my specific route. That tells me that individual carriers can be bad and that your delivery person may be a less than stellar employee. Glad you got some info from him--I would have been inclined to get a photo of him too, just because. I had to go down three times and talk to the Postmaster but finally the problem seems to have gotten better (new carrier).

With regard to future problems:
1) See if the hatchery would be willing to add a delivery confirmation to your package. I think its under a dollar to do that and it gives you the ability to track your package remotely. I had this on hatching eggs and found it to be really useful. I also found that even though the shipper put 'hold at PO' and my phone number on the package I was not called, but they also hadn't finishe sorting. I also did not receive on-going email alerts, just an email after I picked up my package. I could see that the package had arrived at the PO and went down in the morning while they were still sorting and I got it right then and there.

2)If you cant get a delivery confirmation, put all your mail on vacation hold (choose 'I will pick up my mail when I get back') when the hatchery ships. That way you know that it will be held at the PO and not put on the truck. They may store packages in a different area than the letters so if they say its not there, have them look harder.

3)If you dont want to do the hold mail thing, then go down to the PO in the morning. At mine, the carriers are sorting the mail for delivery until 11am to 12pm--ask them the protocol/timing at your PO. You could go when they ship and ask to speak to your carrier in person or have them put a note on your box that explains you are getting live chicks and would appreciate their help... Be super nice to them since you are asking them to go out of their way.

Just a couple of ideas for you. I really empathize with you and would be very livid if this happend to me! Go get 'um and keep us posted.

I have received 7+ shipments of live chicks without issue after the first one which I learned from quickly. I have resolved this by doing the following. Two days before the order is to be received I put a note in my home postal box. It reads "RECEIVING A BOX OF LIVE CHICKS AT (MY ADDRESS) PLEASE CALL MY CELL (#) WHEN THEY ARE RECEIVED AT THE DISTRIBUTION CENTER AND I WILL GLADLY RUSH DOWN TO PICK THEM UP SO THERE ARE NO UNDUE DEATHS CAUSED BY THEIR DELAY TO FOOD & WATER." I then put the same photocopied note the day prior to expected arrival in case the postal person had a day off. Now I receive calls within minutes of the large distribution truck arriving at my local center. They have even been still unloading when I arrive to get my chicks. I have taken the opportunity to talk to many of the distrubition workers and eductate them as to how the chicks are shipped and the time urgency and why riding along in the truck all day til their stop is not a good idea.

As to you paying $30 at the door. I believe you were scammed. Our postal carrier cannot accept cash. If there is amount due we get a note to go pay at the post office. I will be interested to see what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom