Is my pullet a roo? She is crowing!

i have a gorgeous little tophat girl that would crow with her brother. everytime he would, she would follow. kind of like a " i can do anything he can do, better" type of thing. it was cute. he had to be rehomed,
sad.png
(1/2 acre lots, lol) and she no longer crows. i thought it was weird.
however, he def has the markings of a boy. if i lived on a tad more land, i would *love* to help you out! sorry!

Australorps are actually a lot quieter then some other breeds of rooster and tend to be more docile. We have very very close neighbors but most don't mind and the majority are seasonal. If my neighbors do start complaining we have a second property we are going to move him to were it doesn't matter if they complain or not cause its agricultural and they can't do nothing about it
smile.png

If you want to keep him though you could try closing him in at night and not letting him out till later in the day, so he won't be disturbing peoples sleep. Here is a pic of my roo, I just can't help showing him off.
lol.png

31045_imgp3994-2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that she's a he ; but just because your neighbor's daughter said her parents heard it from their bed sure doesn't mean they aren't happy about it . My landlord told me he is hearing my cockerals from his house quite clearly now and at all of times of the day . I asked if the noise bothered him and he said " No , its kind of nice , I just didn't know roosters crowed except in the morning . "

Aww, he looks like such a nice guy. If he is nice to you and to the hens I would keep him and bring the neighbor a 6 pack of eggs and say that "Susie mentioned that you hear George crowing in the morning, I hope it doesn't bother you. I can keep him inside until later if you'd like. how about 9 am?" Our neighbor is over a mile away and mentioned that he can hear our roo. I don't think he meant it as a bad thing. But if he did, oh well! We are beyond rural out here.

If he is your only roo and the only roo within earshot you may get off easy with the crowing. I find that even keeping a roo in later he will still give a good few crows when finally let out in the run. It does help with the early morning wake up crow but boys will be boys.
My BA`s tend to be a bit on the quieter side of roos as someone else has already mentioned....and they are so handsome (but they taste good too)!
You are lucky to have made it to almost six months. My EE boys started today at 14 weeks. I was hoping to get to 18 weeks before sending them off on a their one way trip to freezer camp. Good luck with whatever works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom