• I am not sure

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chickenlover2017

Songster
May 24, 2017
I have been noticing that one of my chickens have just lying down in the grass sleeping at first I thought she was tired.... But she is usually loud so even when I picked her up she was super quiet and it just felt like she was super tired She was being very sweet but unusually quit and tired is this normal for her she I think will lay an egg in a week or so please help don't just look at this and not help I get like 600 views and 54 replies which makes me feel bad so please reply and help a girl out....

Don't feel bad, people often view and do not answer because either they don't have any helpful experience with your particular issue, or they don't have anything to add to what you have already been told. Many people view just to learn.
A few questions.....how old is your chicken? You say you should get an egg in a week, so is she a young pullet just coming into lay?
How long has she been acting this way?
Isolate her in a crate or box with her feed and water and monitor her droppings. Are they normal looking? Is she eating and drinking? Is her crop empty, full, firm, squishy, etc?
The more information you can provide, and sometimes pictures (like of abnormal droppings) the better people can assess and try to help.

She is eating and drinking normal and has been pooping normal she has been squatting but that's normal for them to do she has been squatting for a little less than a month I just noticed her a acting like this today I have been sick so my chickens had to stay in the coop and run

Don't feel bad, people often view and do not answer because either they don't have any helpful experience with your particular issue, or they don't have anything to add to what you have already been told. Many people view just to learn.
A few questions.....how old is your chicken? You say you should get an egg in a week, so is she a young pullet just coming into lay?
How long has she been acting this way?
Isolate her in a crate or box with her feed and water and monitor her droppings. Are they normal looking? Is she eating and drinking? Is her crop empty, full, firm, squishy, etc?
The more information you can provide, and sometimes pictures (like of abnormal droppings) the better people can assess and try to help.

Agree with coach here. The more details, the more likely you will get some information that may help your chicken. Think of it like this.. if you were to call your vet for help, what would you need to tell him/her to help them figure out what might be wrong? That's the stuff inquiring minds want to know!

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well either. :hugs I agree with coach723. You know your chicken, they are kind of like people that if we are typically loud & gregarious, and then suddenly we are not...there is "something" going on. All the question asked by coach723 will help others help you...The other thing, check her body over, could she have been injured ? Also could she be stressed? like a rooster starting to mate her, due to getting old enough to lay--it can be hard on a young hen. just some additional things to think about or consider.

Ok so definitely not a rooster I don't have one lol and I think it may be because she is laying like I think next week or sooner does it cause pain the first time?
Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well either. :hugs I agree with coach723. You know your chicken, they are kind of like people that if we are typically loud & gregarious, and then suddenly we are not...there is "something" going on. All the question asked by coach723 will help others help you...The other thing, check her body over, could she have been injured ? Also could she be stressed? like a rooster starting to mate her, due to getting old enough to lay--it can be hard on a young hen. just some additional things to think about or consider.

What color is her comb/wattles?
Are her eyes dull, bright, any drainage?
Have you SEEN her eat/drink?
How is her weight?
Have you checked her vent for drainage or fly strike?
Have you checked her feet for bumblefoot?
What does her breath smell like? Normal? Sour? Putrid?
Have you dewormed her ever?
Have you check for mites?
How do her legs look?
Check her belly-does it feel normal, swollen, hard, squishy?
Check her crop-again, normal, hard, swollen, squishy?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but since chickens are horrible at telling us what's ailing them we have to play detective/doctor/psychiatrist all at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom