is my RIR a roo?

blondie26

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
44042_edie_photo.jpg

44042_photo_35.jpg

Is my 3.5 month old RIR hen a roo??? she crowed this morning!!! She is dominant... she doesn act like a roo - but tried crowing this morning...no spurs growing... BF said no, she is a hen... I'm concerned as if she is, I will have to get rid of her..
sad.png

I've been comparing her to my other one who is definitely a hen...there are a few different things about Edie, she is dominant, she tried crowing, she has new quills on her head yet to feather... you can see them - they stick out a little.

Anyone know by looking at her if you have RIRs?

thank you in advance.... they are due to lay eggs in July.
I'm going to try and add another photo....

Last edited:
Hmmmm - this is disappointing since the feed store sexed them for me - the shorter uneven wing feathers opposed to longer even ones.
roll.png

One I know is a hen. She definitely is more 'delicate' - but these chickens are going to be BIG. I will wait it out for a few more weeks with Edie and see - other people who have seen her say she is a hen. Just more dominate. Today she has been very pleasant to me...no more pecking. I know several people who have had hens crow...even one who was 2 years old when it started, but didn't do it for long. They are all different for sure.

I was told spurs would have started by now... they have none.

I'll post again in a couple of weeks....

thanks for the input!!!

Both are roos. My RIR doesn't have nearly the comb and wattles and she is a little over a year old.

I am sorry too, but those both sure look like Roo's, especially with that tail set of the one in back. My RIR hens have nice sized combs, they lean over a bit, but not as big as yours and are over a year old. HenZ

Back
Top Bottom