Is my RIR Broody or not???

Hteeter2

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
This morning one of my RIR girls didn't come out to eat, so I thought she might be getting ready to lay. I left them alone until just a few minutes ago; when I went down to give them some more food and collect eggs. She again didn't come out. Going into the coop I collected the eggs I saw; she was in a corner quietly clucking. There was no puffying or attacking me as I checked and found an egg. However I went out putting the eggs safely outside the run, but returned into the coop to find her back in the corner. We don't have traditional nesting boxes which haven't been a problem for us. When my dad gets a chance I want to get some for my girls. However I'm worried about my baby girl in the corner because I'm not sure she's even eating or drinking. Is my RIR Broody?

Possibly. Are all her feathers puffed, her wings slightly spread, does she tuck eggs under herself? Has she been laying eggs in that corner recently?

If she is broody, would you prefer to break her or try to get her chicks? If you want to break her, you should do it ASAP, or egg production will cease for a long, long time.

Possibly. Are all her feathers puffed, her wings slightly spread, does she tuck eggs under herself? Has she been laying eggs in that corner recently?

If she is broody, would you prefer to break her or try to get her chicks? If you want to break her, you should do it ASAP, or egg production will cease for a long, long time.

Not puffed at all. Her wings were slightly spread. The egg I found was under her body; I had to reach under her to get it. They all lay in this corner. How long do I have to get her some chicks? What do I do to put them together?

Not puffed at all. Her wings were slightly spread. The egg I found was under her body; I had to reach under her to get it. They all lay in this corner. How long do I have to get her some chicks? What do I do to put them together?
Can you post a picture of said chicken? She does sound broody, thus far.

You should wait about two-three weeks before giving her chicks. (you can wait longer) It takes at least that long for her to get the hormones that say "take care of chicks!" rather than, "set on these eggs!"

Sometimes, if you just put chicks under a hen, she'll realise that they're not hers, be enraged that those foreign stinkers are trying to take the resources due her babies, and hurt them badly. So it's best to put them under her at night, when she's sleeping, and keep an eye on the situation for a bit.

Can you post a picture of said chicken? She does sound broody, thus far.

You should wait about two-three weeks before giving her chicks. (you can wait longer) It takes at least that long for her to get the hormones that say "take care of chicks!" rather than, "set on these eggs!"

Sometimes, if you just put chicks under a hen, she'll realise that they're not hers, be enraged that those foreign stinkers are trying to take the resources due her babies, and hurt them badly. So it's best to put them under her at night, when she's sleeping, and keep an eye on the situation for a bit.

Here's a picture of her.
IMG_20190314_132942.jpg
IMG_20190314_132942.jpg

She does appear to be in the broody position (chest low, hocks spread and bowed in a squat) Might want to get a better nest for her--even a round rubber pan with bedding would help, as it would reduce the strain of squatting there.

Keep an eye out for a broody poop. If she does make one, I will be fully convinced. (big, semi-solid, stinky poop about the size of an egg, maybe a little larger.)

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom