Is my Roo just going to be a 'late bloomer'?

tacmomma12

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
RI
Hey there, I have a 22 week old BLRW that turned out to be a cockerel. We got four chicks straight run, and the other three ended up pullets. So......this looks like a roo. He's a big boy, saddle feathers, bigger waddles and comb than the girls obviously. He's even starting to try and show them he's boss. Not my older hens, he's respectful/afraid of them. Hahah. He will come right up to me and get treats and somewhat trusts me. He is not as of yet aggressive towards anyone at all, which is a pleasant surprise.

But the weird thing is, what he's not doing.

He's not..........CROWING.

At all. No noises like a rooster would make at all, really. Unless he's startled or grabbed then he clucks/bawks etc. But no crowing.

I have only had one other rooster, an Australorp, that did not work out because of his aggression towards me once his hormones got rolling. He was crowing by 9-10 weeks though. LOUDLY as soon as he figured it out.

So, what do other chicken keepers think? Is this just a breed where the roosters mouth off a little later in life? Will he eventually crow even if he hasn't shown any signs yet?

Have I got a unicorn- a rooster who won't crow? I live in a place where crowing might not be great, so this is an interesting development. He's gorgeous and I love him to bits, just curious as he's very different from our last one. Thanks!

He may not crow because he is bot very dominate.Either that or he just needs sone time.I had to take my other roo inside my house to get him to crow.Of course I had two other roos who were very dominate.Which this could be the case with him even though the hens are the dominate ones.

I have an 18 week old standard EE cockerel, who has yet to crow or get a red comb and wattles. Yet I have the same age cockerel who's a bantam EE, full red comb, feathers, wattles and started crowing really young. I wondered if bantams just mature faster since mine is definitely the boss!

So, what do other chicken keepers think? Is this just a breed where the roosters mouth off a little later in life? Will he eventually crow even if he hasn't shown any signs yet?

Have I got a unicorn- a rooster who won't crow? I live in a place where crowing might not be great, so this is an interesting development. He's gorgeous and I love him to bits, just curious as he's very different from our last one. Thanks!
Wyandottes tend to mature later....might be the reason <shrugs> be glad, for now, of the quiet.

I have an 18 week old standard EE cockerel, who has yet to crow or get a red comb and wattles. Yet I have the same age cockerel who's a bantam EE, full red comb, feathers, wattles and started crowing really young. I wondered if bantams just mature faster since mine is definitely the boss!
If there's another mature and dominant cock in the flock, it can suppress the testosterone of the lesser boys.

Just give him time. It will come, the crowing and mating and everything.

He's not really that old yet. Kinda like a freshman in high school. Some are more adults, some are more kiddos.

Back
Top Bottom