Is my rooster being aggressive?

I have just been chatting to my neighbour and told her about Lala - she looks after my hens when we are on holiday. We came back from two weeks in England last Monday, so she was in charge of the hens. When I told her about Lala she said that he did exactly the same to her!! She was never frightened of him before (she knew him as an egg!), but she is now! So it seems that the aggressive behaviour is not new. So that settles it - "Coq au vin" on the menu this weekend!

I have just been chatting to my neighbour and told her about Lala - she looks after my hens when we are on holiday. We came back from two weeks in England last Monday, so she was in charge of the hens. When I told her about Lala she said that he did exactly the same to her!! She was never frightened of him before (she knew him as an egg!), but she is now! So it seems that the aggressive behaviour is not new. So that settles it - "Coq au vin" on the menu this weekend!
:drool What time's dinner? :drool

I had a bit of a surprise five minutes ago..... I went out to do some gardening and my rooster, Lala, who is now 16 months old and who I raised from an egg, rushed at me and did that shuffling, sideways dance that he does around the hens. :eek: I've read a few of the threads on here, but am still not sure what to do! Is he being aggressive/dominant in some way? I shouted at him and he stopped straight away. I have read that you are meant to pick them up.... but I don't feel confident enough to do that! He's a cross between an Orpington and a Marans and quite a hefty guy now! He is away from the main flock in a separate enclosure, but has three girlfriends to keep him happy and the run of the garden. I was walking towards two of them when he came at me. One of them has three chicks...... I can't believe he thought I would harm them??? :hit What should I do? Could he be aggressive towards my 3 year old granddaughter when she comes here? Any advice very gratefully received! Thank you all xx

I have a friend who is so watchful of that he'll actually kill a rooster on the spot if it attacks someone. No matter if it is a mixed bred or a recently imported $300 bird. He doesn't tolerate it one bit
Neither do we. We have 3 small kids and will not tolerate an aggressive animal. Had a one year old Maran rooster go out of his way to knock my 2 yr old down and jump on him. My poor baby was all scratched up and terrified. He watched as we culled the the rooster so he knew it wouldn't hurt him. Now if you ask what we do to mean chickens he says, "choooooop"

Okay I’m a Roo hater here’s why I had a chicken that had some physical challenges (another story). Thought he was a she until 10 months old (a whole mother story). He was babied he was a cuddly love ( others would pick on him) I loved him then.....his harmones kicked in started with what you described I would pick him up. This worked for a while seems he figured that out and then would go after my hands and arms. I then got a long stick and would redirect him it was like walking him on a stick I would place it just under his breast bone a use him pushing against it to keep him away. The day he attacked my husband was it, it was ugly. He tore up my girls juvenile rooster don’t know how to get what they want nicely. I guess some Roo’s are sweet from the get go, I will never know because I just won’t have another. You don’t want your beautiful grandchildren to be scared physically or emotionally from a Roo do you? I just want wonderful eggs from happy hens. Iffin’ I need babies there’s plenty every spring that need good homes. So I’ll get down off my soapbox and tell your granddaughter that Roo went to a farm.

Back
Top Bottom