Is my rooster being aggressive?

Pics

Tilly56

Chirping
Mar 14, 2017
I had a bit of a surprise five minutes ago..... I went out to do some gardening and my rooster, Lala, who is now 16 months old and who I raised from an egg, rushed at me and did that shuffling, sideways dance that he does around the hens. :eek: I've read a few of the threads on here, but am still not sure what to do! Is he being aggressive/dominant in some way? I shouted at him and he stopped straight away. I have read that you are meant to pick them up.... but I don't feel confident enough to do that! He's a cross between an Orpington and a Marans and quite a hefty guy now! He is away from the main flock in a separate enclosure, but has three girlfriends to keep him happy and the run of the garden. I was walking towards two of them when he came at me. One of them has three chicks...... I can't believe he thought I would harm them??? :hit What should I do? Could he be aggressive towards my 3 year old granddaughter when she comes here? Any advice very gratefully received! Thank you all xx

You better put his arss on the run and give him a quick schooling! Make NO mistake that WAS aggression directed at you. Yes, your grand daughter would be at risk. :hmm

I use a stick or something to give a little chase... just to put him on the run... not to create a confrontation. Kicking or swinging at them usually escalates the stupidity.

You can look up "rooster training" or for that matter, check out post 18... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aggressive-rooster.1149551/

I don't participate in rooster training and it didn't work for me the ONE time I had a hand raised cockerel act like a Stew Pidasso. But the information might be helpful in your understanding.

Thing is you are fearful... that's a problem. Remember you are the giant. Worse he can do is maybe some puncture marks.

I also don't think the whole holding thing works... BUT learning how to handle him would be hugely helpful... I would practice taking him off roost in the evening and get familiar. He is just a bigger more hormonal version of a hen.

I do (now) always walk through my boys... and yes you can see trouble brewing before it gets full blown by them not moving out of your way or respecting your space. I make sure not to be seen as part of the pecking order.

Good luck! If it were me with a grand daughter... he would HAVE to go. But he may still be workable... everyone feels their Wheaties sometimes and all teens test their boundaries. Even at his age he isn't fully mature yet in my opinion BUT he should have a little bit more smarts than a cockerel. Look out for the stink eye... when you get the stink eye... take action immediately... that's the sign of thought running through his pea brain. :smack

He may not see you as a threat to the flock... but maybe as competition for the harem. :confused:

My Marans have been my best boys so far. :love

Either way, every situation will be unique. Good luck! :fl

I'm backing up @EggSighted4Life in aggreeing your cockerel is being aggressive, and it's probably going to get worse unless he's disciplined.

If you feel uncomfortable disciplining him, you probably would be better off by just giving him to someone who needs a rooster for their flock. An undisciplined cockerel is especially dangerous for a toddler.

I have just been chatting to my neighbour and told her about Lala - she looks after my hens when we are on holiday. We came back from two weeks in England last Monday, so she was in charge of the hens. When I told her about Lala she said that he did exactly the same to her!! She was never frightened of him before (she knew him as an egg!), but she is now! So it seems that the aggressive behaviour is not new. So that settles it - "Coq au vin" on the menu this weekend!

This is step one, yes he is trying to include you in his flock. You did not squat, so next time he will be more aggressive. If your granddaughter will share the garden with him, then yes, I think he will attack her, and soon. Roosters tend to attack children first, then women, and finally men.

Is he 16 weeks? Or 16 months? Why is he separated from the rest of the flock. Generally if a rooster is going to be aggressive, they do it long before this age.

If he is 16 months, and you have a coop/run to confine him too, maybe keep him a little longer and see. If not and the granddaughter comes often, cull him at once. A rooster attack on an adult, might be more scary than dangerous, but to a child, it can cause serious damage to the face.

Mrs K

Thank you all so much for your replies..... My husband, who was brought up on a farm said I should take a broom with me and thump him one - but he (my husband not the rooster:D) is 6ft tall and grew up surrounded by aggressive roosters! I grew up in a terraced house in London.... just sparrows and pigeons for company! Mrs K : he is 16 months old and we keep him separate as we do not want more chicks and there was a lot of "interbreeding" going on, but he has three hens with him to keep him company. He does spend a LOT of time running backwards and forwards along the fence trying to get at the other hens - must be frustrating for him, I suppose! I can't take any risks with my granddaughters - or with my neighbour's grandchildren as she looks after them all when we are away. I'll be sad to lose him, one way or the other, but I would never forgive myself if he attacked a child. Oh dear............... :hit:hit

Thank you all so much for your replies..... My husband, who was brought up on a farm said I should take a broom with me and thump him one - but he (my husband not the rooster:D) is 6ft tall and grew up surrounded by aggressive roosters! I grew up in a terraced house in London.... just sparrows and pigeons for company! Mrs K : he is 16 months old and we keep him separate as we do not want more chicks and there was a lot of "interbreeding" going on, but he has three hens with him to keep him company. He does spend a LOT of time running backwards and forwards along the fence trying to get at the other hens - must be frustrating for him, I suppose! I can't take any risks with my granddaughters - or with my neighbour's grandchildren as she looks after them all when we are away. I'll be sad to lose him, one way or the other, but I would never forgive myself if he attacked a child. Oh dear............... :hit:hit
I have a friend who is so watchful of that he'll actually kill a rooster on the spot if it attacks someone. No matter if it is a mixed bred or a recently imported $300 bird. He doesn't tolerate it one bit

An aggressive rooster might not be aggressive with everyone. Roosters tend to sense when someone is not confident around them, and they will crowd them and try to get the upper hand, so to speak.

The bottom line is you do not want to take even the slightest chance the rooster will attack the toddler. I've seen a spur open a gash on a full grown man's leg five inches long and send him to the ER. A small child would be even more vulnerable to serious injury/

Have you ever seen a rooster challenge? There's a lot of dancing and some head swinging and a bit of contact, but they all end with one of them backing down and walking away ... sometimes at a run with the "winner" in pursuit. Be the winner. Tap him on the tail and head with the broom or a stick or even a long weed - and don't leave him until he's moving away from you.

Back
Top Bottom