Is my rooster just a teenager or a jerk

Sep 3, 2022
I have a rooster who is coming into age, per say. I feel like he is more aggressive than need be from what I have read. He does not do a mating dance. He does a im hunting you down, even if I have to hang onto your tail feathers, I’m getting it. And my other hens are coming to fight him off. Should he be culled or will he become the gentleman I hear roosters can be?

My current cockerel is around 6 months old and maturing. Around 4 months he started crowing and mounting the 2 hens he hatched with and chased them. The would try the bigger girls, but they put him in his place. Then about 5 months they started letting him mount them. In fact, some actually would almost invite it by crouching down. Now at 6 months he has about a 50/50 rate of easy mounts and refusals which means he has to do his chicken dance.

His dad was less caring and chased us. We're coming close to the age where we'll see how he handles his interactions with us. So far, he's skeptical but keeps his distance.

I have a rooster who is coming into age, per say. I feel like he is more aggressive than need be from what I have read. He does not do a mating dance. He does a im hunting you down, even if I have to hang onto your tail feathers, I’m getting it. And my other hens are coming to fight him off. Should he be culled or will he become the gentleman I hear roosters can be?
You can never tell how a cockerel will turn out. He is basically a cockerel doing what most cockerels do. It sounds like the dominant hen is trying to keep him in his place. Some people feel that a dominant hen keeping him in his place for a while makes for a better rooster when he matures and takes over.

Is anyone actually getting hurt, the cockerel or any of the girls? Any bleeding? An occasional feather loss is not a big deal but bald spots are. When mine integrate I let them integrate as long as no one gets hurt, whether they are male or female. I don't have one standard for pullets and another one for cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom