Is my rooster sick

Jan 17, 2021
Here’s a backstory:
About 6 weeks ago I quarantined a hen in my house. I assumed two roosters were fighting over her and that’s why she was walking weird to not being able to walk at all. She ended up passing about a month ago.

today I let my chickens out of the coop for the first time ina week (been on vacation) and now my rooster is walking weird and sideways. should I assume he was cooped up too long and to give it a day? Or am I facing something bigger

Here’s a backstory:
About 6 weeks ago I quarantined a hen in my house. I assumed two roosters were fighting over her and that’s why she was walking weird to not being able to walk at all. She ended up passing about a month ago.

today I let my chickens out of the coop for the first time ina week (been on vacation) and now my rooster is walking weird and sideways. should I assume he was cooped up too long and to give it a day? Or am I facing something bigger
That sounds a bit like Mareks. But it also may be an injury.
A chicken won’t walk weird because they are “cooped up” or the rooster gave them too much attention.

Is there any natural daylight that streams into your coop?
It is a long shot but a,week is a pretty large chunk of time and chickens depend on sunlight for the production of vitamin D.
I don't think that would cause an issue alone but it could exacerbate something underlying.

Here’s a backstory:

Can you please post some photos of their housing?
Did they have access to fresh food/water while you were away?
A video of the rooster and his actions would be great. Upload video to youtube and provide a link. Thank you.

You mention letting them out of the "coop" did they also have access to a run (outdoors) or were the literally in their coop?

What's the temperatures been like - where are you located in the world?

You have 2 roosters? The one that is not well - have you looked him over for injury, abrasions, bruises, etc.?

What do you feed and how old is he?

6 or 7 months and he has access to everything: food, water, sunlight. Now I’m finding bloody stool but I’m only assuming it’s him.

he’s also pretty isolated

6 or 7 months and he has access to everything: food, water, sunlight. Now I’m finding bloody stool but I’m only assuming it’s him.

he’s also pretty isolated
Hello! Sorry for my delay. So I gave vitamin in water for two days and he’s still slowing up. But cleaning the run today, there is definitely bloody stool in there. Am I okay to assume it’s from him? If so, what do I do
Please take some photos of the rooster, the housing and his poop.

Have no idea if the poop is from him or not...you will have to watch or separate him so you can get a good look at what's going on.

Physically pick the bird up and examine him.

IF the bloody poop is from him, then treat with Corid to see if it helps. Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days. Omit vitamins during the treatment period.

Back
Top Bottom