Is my run cluttered enough?

The main questions for this (got a bit sidetracked on the OP and in following posts) were:
a) what do you think of the stuff in there?
b) should I add/remove stuff, if so, what stuff?
TV, radio (it'd have to be push button) some games...........
seriously, I have a hen that likes to roost on the power cord for the heat light. I keep moving it up but it doesn't stay. I've been thinking about making some type of swing for her

So I didn’t read any of the thread other than the OP, but personally I find that feeders are a struggle. Rain can really ruin chicken feed quick, especially in an open milk jug.
I use “Grandpas feeder” which is a good sized closed feeder, which is opened by the weight of the chicken. To access the food, chickens stand in the platform, which opens the hatch to the feeder. Even when it’s raining the hatch door covers the food so nothing is ever wet, and side guards prevent angled rain, and chickens from eating on the side (the only way to get to the food is if there is a chicken in the platform, if the side guards didn’t exist, there could be a chicken on the platform, but a chicken off the platform eating from the side. If the chicken on the platform stepped down, the chicken eating from the side could get its head smashed in. That’s why the side guards are important) if chickens step down, the hatch closes. Rodents can access the feed because the platform can only open the hatch by the weight of a chicken, and rodents are to light. Even if a rodent was to get in, the metal grill prevents them from getting in. It covers the feed so chickens can’t use their beaks to scoop out all the food. The sloped back makes this a gravity feeder, and makes sure the food is always the perfect level for them to be able to access it through the spaces in the grill.
View attachment 2411138yes it’s... a LITTLE expensive, but I have never had another feeder and this one is great and definitely worth it!

(Picture is from their website I have no idea why the chickens are eating cor

I don’t know if anyone else suggested a feeder like this, but i didn’t read the thread so this is my suggestion! ;)
The milk jug isn't open, it has a big hole in the front and is completely covered on top. That feeder looks AMAZING!! I'd love to get one but I think that we're happy with our setup right now, and I'm going to start trying some fermented feed. I think that the milk jug will work well with it. If I had everything the way I'd like, I'd totally get that feeder, though!

The milk jug isn't open, it has a big hole in the front and is completely covered on top. That feeder looks AMAZING!! I'd love to get one but I think that we're happy with our setup right now, and I'm going to start trying some fermented feed. I think that the milk jug will work well with it. If I had everything the way I'd like, I'd totally get that feeder, though!
Ok! Yes, the feeder is nice but it’s kind of expensive............... I think your set up is great, but plastic in my coop has not survived long, I thought maybe suggesting a long-term idea would be good. I like reusing things though! As long it stays useful for you, keep doing the milk jug feeder.

If you ever want something else that is still simple, here’s another idea (if you ever did this though you would do it at a smaller scale to save space) But I’m just suggesting things! You don’t need to change it right now
2F798598-890C-46EA-9E2D-371C7D123BC9.jpeg

Ok! Yes, the feeder is nice but it’s kind of expensive............... I think your set up is great, but plastic in my coop has not survived long, I thought maybe suggesting a long-term idea would be good. I like reusing things though! As long it stays useful for you, keep doing the milk jug feeder.

If you ever want something else that is still simple, here’s another idea (if you ever did this though you would do it at a smaller scale to save space) But I’m just suggesting things! You don’t need to change it right nowView attachment 2411267
That one looks great! Do they get their faces stuck??

I am worried that with a hanging feeder they will get over enthusiastic, run straight into it, and send it swinging, therefor tipping food out. I am going to try fermented feed, so I think I'll stick to my milk jug. Thanks for the suggestion, though!!!
Mine have never done that but I have knocked it a couple times! I’m sending a photo

Update for this:
They didn't use the chair enough to make it worth taking up all the space, and while I was taking it out, the back came off (these things are ancient!!) I now have the back of the chair leaned up against the wall of the coop, so that it breaks the sightline to the under coop bit a bit.

Attachments

• B779CD8A-4006-4E94-A62B-19DE5F972592.jpeg
    B779CD8A-4006-4E94-A62B-19DE5F972592.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 6
The only thing I can think of is maybe installing a swing or a rope with a kebab stick attached. then you can add whole apple cabbage etc and hang it for them to peck at. I'm hoping to make a swing before it gets too cold. Just planning to use some rope and left over 2x4!

Back
Top Bottom