Is my setup sufficient for the winter?

I'm in CT so also anticipating the storm tonight. My first winter with five girls, too. I agree with everyone's advice. Just keep monitoring condensation in the coop and clean out the poop daily. Your run is beautiful, I'm jealous of your skills. I'm happy with my set up, but opted to purchase it. Below is the set up with goofy holiday lights. Let us know how the flock fares with the snow.

View attachment 2451459
Love the lights!! I'll let you know how it goes. My Easter egger (Coconut) came prancing out right when we opened the coop at 6:30 this morning and started eating her breakfast and then we heard the egg song a little bit later so she doesn't seem bothered at all so far. The other four stayed in the coop for a little longer this morning though before venturing out. I think I'll feel more confident about everything once I gain some more experience!

Love the lights!! I'll let you know how it goes. My Easter egger (Coconut) came prancing out right when we opened the coop at 6:30 this morning and started eating her breakfast and then we heard the egg song a little bit later so she doesn't seem bothered at all so far. The other four stayed in the coop for a little longer this morning though before venturing out. I think I'll feel more confident about everything once I gain some more experience!
Your run looks great. :thumbsup I agree with the suggestion to add plastic to one more side. That should keep out most of the snow. Don't worry about the cold. Block the wind, keep out the nor'easters, snow and rain and you will do well. After doing that you might find that little if any rain/snow gets to the coop. And if that is the case you might be able to add a bit more ventilation. Maybe on the two sides.

Lastly, get ready for the snow, lift with your legs.

Attachments

• 1608131405030.png
    1608131405030.png
    3 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom