Is my space suitable?

Quote:
I guess it depends on the cat, but my chickens outgrew my cat pretty quickly. He still stalks them sometimes, but all the flapping and cackling freaks him out, so he's really just watching. The dog, however, thinks the chickens look like great wrestling partners. The chickens don't agree.
lol.png

That's very interesting!

I can just picture one of our crazy cats getting shoo'd by the chickens!
lol.png

Well, looks like I have sufficient space for 12 chooks in the run, but only 8 in the coop, but that's already more than I expected to have so...

IT'S A GO!

Thanks to all of you for the help, and see you in the next thread!
big_smile.png

Quote:

Be advised that is a rule-of-thumb-minimum of 10 sq ft outside for each chicken. I have 80 sq ft/chicken outside space, and wish I could have done it bigger. All things being equal, the roomier is it, the healthier it is. Less fighting, bullying, pecking, etc. I would not put more than 4 in that space in your place. And I would put none there without doing some pruning/thinning on the trees to allow some sunlight in. I would not want them by my house in any case. The poop stinks in warm weather for one thing. For another, it is tacky looking if you care about that and very possibly, your neighbors might care. It could become an issue with them. It could also be against zoning or township laws too. Best to do all necessary homework on that front before jumping in. Even better yet, talk about it with your immediate neighbors, and do not get a rooster unless you live way out in the country. They are very noisy.

Last edited:
Thanks, gsim -

According to the 10sq' per bird I have enough space for 12 birds. I can't sacrifice more space, but I can get fewer chooks, and I will certainly trim the shrubbery for the chickens - the fencing also needs the odd zip tie.

Neighbours are not an issue, but I imagine that with our summer heat, the cleaning will have to be regular.

I agree about the aesthetics, gsim, but I am on a budget (euphemism for being poor!
lol.png
) and the fenced area is already in place...

Roosters would be a problem, I believe, but we won't be breeding.

I think you're going to love it!

Just a thought for you to chew on regarding gsim's concerns about your space.

Your flock's dynamics make all the difference. Previously i had a flock of just 6, all Buff Orpingtons, and they were never ever the least bit aggressive toward each other. I feel certain i could've put them in half the recommended space, and they would never have fought or pecked at each other. I'm not recommending that - peaceful birds still need exercise - but i could have done it without seeing them start to fight or show aggression in any way.

Now, i have a larger flock of rir, buff orps, and barred rocks. The combination of breeds and their different personalities is a completely different dynamic. The buff orps are still sweet and peaceful except when they have to defend themselves against the others. But i could definitely not confine this group in too small a space. I have had pecking issues from the time they were babies. I give them as much space as i can so that they have plenty of room to group in their little cliques and hide from each other when necessary.

I would definitely start small and with know very docile breeds. I would even recommend going with all one breed, but that's not necessarily the only formula for success.

I'm starting to ramble (i just woke up), but it might clarify to say, i would personally not hesitate to put a dozen buff orps in your space right off; but if my breed were barred rocks, i would feel pretty good about half a dozen; and if i chose rir, i wouldn't put more than 4 to start. But every flock is different. I have no doubt that you will be successful with your set up. And i can't wait to see what you come up with.
wink.png

Mornin', punkin!

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense -

I was thinking along the lines of either going one breed, or having Buff Orp, Rhode Island Red, Australorp and Easter Eggers, which look like great fun! Perhaps I should have two per breed for their comfort, or am I being a bit soppy?

However.........

......I am having the devil of a time finding any of these breeds for sale. Weirder still, the South African Breeders Assn has no database that can help me. Is this 1835?!
lol.png

That gets the ol' juices flowing, however, and I will find these birds. Not the EE, as nooooo one has heard of them over here. :-(

lol.png

I wouldn't worry about having two of each unless you just want to. One benefit you might have if you have one of each breed is that you'll have a better chance of knowing which egg came from which chicken, which is helpful in keeping track of who's laying how many how often. Maybe you could start with one of each breed, and as you get to know them, decide if you want to add companions. In my experience, orps are a lot more cuddly than rir. But i have no experience with Australorps.

Just have fun. You'll learn as you go.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom