Is my speckled sussex a roo?

Pinkpony

Chirping
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Enumclaw, Wa
Here is a short video of my 4 week old speckled sussex Freckles. He/She is showing some signs of being a rooster. It maybe to early to tell but the signs are there I think. Since I can't have a rooster where I live I'm hoping she is a she! Since I'm new to having chickens I hope some can help. Such a friendly fun chicken but seems to be practicing a crow but no sound comes out. I have also heard some hens will crow if you don't have a rooster? If he is a rooster I will have speckle sussex that will need a new home. If it comes to that I will post him on the backyard chickens forum board. Thanks everyone!

That is an ill bird....it isn't crowing, it's gasping. I believe she ( it looks like a pullet to me) probably has coccidiosis, a common malady among chicks, but I suggest posting in the emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures forum to get a more accurate diagnosis. Good luck!

Last edited:
It's hard to tell under the red light. But it does look like it has something irritating it's throat. They don't normally do that whole opening their mouth thing like that. Do you add Apple Cider Vinegar to their water and medicated feed? It's a good idea to if you don't. 1Tlbs per gallon of water use only with plastic or glass waterers. Also it your chick keeps that up check its throat for Gapeworm here is a link to a thread talking about it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/177025/chicken-sticking-neck-out-and-opening-mouth-wide

If you get some new pics in better lighting it will be easier to tell the sex.

Last edited:
Something is wrong with it, the head back open mouth gasp thing is worrisome. Did I head a whistling sound while it was taking in air? (I'm sitting outside so its possible I didn't hear that from the video.) The major symptom of cocci is BLOODY stool. Not "hmmm, is that blood?" But no joke bloody.

Things to consider... Is the bird acting ill? Hunched shoulders and ruffled? Poop? Before you took that video was the chick eating (gulping down food). It's possible the little guy was trying to adjust the contents of the crop or had a bit of food stuck in the throat.

I went to the feed store to talk to the chicken lady I know down there. She thinks its a bad reaction to the bedding I was using. So I got some new bedding it seems to have helped a little. But to be on the safe side we started her on a antibiotic duramycin-10. Her poop is normal and she is eatting and drinking fine. She isn't as playful and is a lot smaller then she should be at her age.
One last thing I'm not sure if I should separate the other birds from her so they don't get sick too? I tried to move her to her own pen and she chirped like crazy so I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not :/

Back
Top Bottom