Is my sweet little chicken a roo?

OK, thanks, I was afraid of that. Now I guess I need to find him a home. So sad.
sad.png

Sorry to hear that. In areas where roos are prohibited it may be better/easier/less heartbreaking to start with older pullets. Good luck finding him a home.

Thanks everyone! You all were right, he started crowing last week (9 weeks old!) and now he is trying to mate with the grown hen. It really happened fast!

I found out that I can keep him if the neighbors don't object which I kind of want to do because he is sweet as pie. My question for y'all is, will he stay sweet or should I expect him to become aggressive? If so, at what age will it start? My kids (7 and 9) do most of the tending to the chickens and I don't think it would be a good idea to have an aggressive rooster around. I found out the hatchery where I got him will take him back up to 20 weeks so I have a little time to decide.

I hope he stays sweet for you, roo's personalities can change fast when hormones kick in.

We had a wonderful little mix breed that is 5 months old and he has started jumping at my kids and he's already huge........which means he needs a new home since we can't bear to butcher him. I want to learn to caponize, and will learn, so that we don't have to go through the hearbreak of losing good roos + we can grow our own meat birds that way!

Back
Top Bottom