Is my ventilation high enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sakmeht, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I took a pic of them on their roost tonight so you can see them in sleepy mode. As they've gotten bigger I've become worried that that back ventilation isn't high enough above their heads, especially with cold weather coming on soon. That's my back wall and the front wall is a foot higher. There is a flap that I can shut on that vent, too.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    its perfect especially since you can close the back one to stop drafts. the front is as high as it gets in there. it will be fine.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I agree. It looks great.

4. smokinjay

smokinjay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Cant go any higher! perfect...........

5. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Thank you! I feel better now... [​IMG]

6. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I had the hubby make that back vent so that I could keep it open (with flow-through to the front vent) for good winter ventilation... but I'm still afraid that back vent is too low above their heads. I haven't measured but I think the bottom of that vent is less than 24 inches from the roost. Do you recommend I shut that back vent in the winter? Will my front vent be adequate enough? Sorry, I'm still having issues with this...

7. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Open on calm cold days - closed during snow storms. Good luck!

8. Sakmeht

May 19, 2011
    Open on calm, cold nights as well? [​IMG]

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

exactly [​IMG]

... and if you added an "awning" piece over/around it that would cut down on wind.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  10. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I would keep it open always. With the exception of snow blowing in to the coop and making a mess to clean up.

You did a great deal of planning and work to get that vent in the perfect place and the perfect size. It would be a shame to close it and not gain the benefit of it. You did great quit second guessing yourself. Your chickens will not be too cold. It is actually not possible in the US to be to cold for chickens, outside unprotected in a tree, in a snow storm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by