is nighttime the only time to really worry about?

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
I'm new to raising chickens and was wondering about predators (weasels and racoons and fox and such)....Do they mostly strike at night?

Also....My enclosure is 6 feet high topped with bird netting to keep flying predators out. Am I kidding myself that they'll land on it and fly away (if they manage to untangle themselves), or do hawks rip through that stuff (it's plastic)?

My girls are just 7 weeks old, and love being out in their enclosure. I'd like to let them be out there when I'm at work all day (I do close them in the coop at night), but I'm just a nervous wreck worrying there's some small opening I missed that a hungry critter might get through....

Are they "safe" out there during the day? (Enclosure walls are hardware cloth from 6 inches below ground to 3 feet about ground....then 1 1/2" chicken wire up the next 3' up to the top.)

Thoughts? Advice? Anti-worry medications you can recommend?
wink.png

Well you sound like youve secured your coop pretty well!!!
big_smile.png
I must say though, even though it is a little odd, predators do strike in the day. I had a fox problem last year, foxes in my yard at 3 in the afternoon. You will see by other posts that coons have also come out in the day time. Once again though, its not normal, but its not impossible. I really wouldnt worry though because your coop sounds like Id have a hard time getting in!!

wow.nice sounding guarded coop you have ..... I have lost most of mine during the day......sorry to say........to coyotes,cats,and hawks........ always a threat no matter what time day or night............just hope for the best.do what you can.... and love them meanwhile.

Thanks to you both for the reassurance that it DOES at least sound like I've made it pretty secure for them
smile.png
I know you can't prepare for every possible harm...but how I wish you could!! I went home to check on them at lunchtime and they were fine...and they were all inside the coop anyways, so I closed their door for the afternoon.

I know you're right okiechick....you do what you can and hope for the best...and loving them in the meanwhile is the easy part
wink.png
I'm actually amazed at how much I've attached to these little ladies. My friends and family think I'm nuts...glad to have found kindred spirits here though. Nice to know that there's a population of fellow "chicken-people" out there
smile.png
I used to think I'd get a dog as soon as I moved into my new house, but I got the chicks right away instead, and now I've lost all enthusiasm for a dog!

got a sweet photo this AM....this is Ginger....

ginger2.jpg

Thanks again!

Well, I think a big issue with attacks at night is that the chicken's can't see what is going on. During the day, at least they can usually see it coming.

That said, chickens have been lost during the day, and during the night. The hawks are an issue during the day, as well as rogue dogs and such, possums and racoons at night.

I have temporarily thrown my hands in the air and given up. I locked up my birds during the day that have been free ranging except at night. I lost one of my roosters yesterday. So far this summer I have lost about a dozen chickens, two ducks, and three guineas to predators, and all of them during the day for the last couple months.
I am down to only four hens and a rooster, four ducks, and 1 guinea, plus a bunch of week old babies we ordered.
I think it's coyotes but I am not sure. It is so hot my wife never goes outside and I work during the day so I am clueless what is getting them.

Well, we lost one during the day a few months back--but we had a huge hole in our fence due to a windstorm. But now we've got the fence back up, hot wire all over the place, geese, dog, trap and gun! I can't wait to catch me a varmit!

But yes, it does sound like your coop is very secure--ours were free-ranging inside our (fully)-fenced yard.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom