is ok to put them out in the coop?

chicksducks84

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Hi All

I have 4 - 4week old turkens, 2 - 3 wk old pekin ducks, and 4 2 week old australorps. It is getting warmer at night, is it OK to put them inside the coop with the heat lamp? I moved them from my house, because they smell so awful into my shed, which is nearly the same temp as the coop. They will keep eachother warm correcT? They spent their first night in the shed lastnight, they all seemd happy and normal this am. but they are out-growing their brooder fast!

Any ideas/Suggestions ideas? Or could I put the pekins and turkins out with heat lamp and keep youngins in the house? I am worried about problems intergrating them weeks down the road?

I am a first timer, please help!! :)

With the heat lamp, they could have been in a secure coop all along. Not all of us let chicks live in our house :) A heat lamp works great -- mine were fine with nights in the upper teens as tiny chicks.

This is so good to know, as my little ones (who are not so little anymore) are really starting to have quite the odor (10 chicks in one brooder in my living room). I have 8 regular size and 2 bantams, the bantams are a week younger (the older ones are about 4 weeks and the others are about 3 weeks). How close to the lamp do they need to be? We are building our coop still, but if I get it done in the next week, then they can go out in it from my house (I don't have a garage and would be afraid in the shed)?

They should be perfectly okay in the coop with a heat lamp. They will help keep each other warm with their own body heat as I'm guessing they'll all end up snuggling with one another. Birds always seem to be extra friendly with one another when it comes to chilly weather:)

Just make sure you keep an eye on the ducks and their water. Ducks make a mess with their water as you've probably already figured out. If the other chicks get wet they'll most likely get very chilly which wouldn't be the greatest. I always used to just give my babies half the amount of water I gave them during the day so that way they wouldn't get all of their none-aquatic friends soaked during the night. It seemed to work out just fine:)

I live in Alberta Canada and so the nights (and even the last few days) get pretty chilly! We had our chicks in our secured and insulated coop right off the bat with heating lamps and a small thermostat heater. They have been fine. As long as you follow the same criteria with required temperatures inside the coop as you would in your house / brooder, you will be perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom