Is one breed more friendly than another?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Where The Wild Things Are, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    Currently I have 2 Mallard Drakes, they are about 4 months old. They want absolutely nothing to do with me. I'm wondering if other breeds are "friendler"? They are spoiled rotten little brats, good thing my love for them is unconditional [​IMG]

2. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I have owned pekins and muscovys and I think muscovys are deffinetly a lot more friendly. If you raise ducks in pairs then they will keep to themselves most of the time unless you give them lots of treats and attention. If you raise a single duckling then it will be more dog like and come running when it sees you becuase it thinks your are its flock.

3. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    Well, they have 5 "sisters" to play with (assorted hens). The chickens will all but tackle me when they see me, but the ducks hang back. I thought for sure I could "buy" their love, but even treats won't work. Silly birds!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Although some breeds do tend to be less flighty than others- individual personality and temperament within the breeds can vary greatly. Hand raised birds are often tamer. With birds I have bought in as adults- rather than moving towards them - I sit with food and let them slowly learn that it is safe to approach me. Once they feel safe- they will not only get closer- but eventually eat from my hands and allow me to pick them up without too much of a fight.
    Patients sometimes is the key when treats are not working as well as hoped.

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I got 4 muscovy eggs and only 1 hatched out,I named him Nibbles.I raised him with quail for a while but then had to seperate them.Now about 8 months later after hand raising he comes waddling towards me everyday and when I get home from school hes always on the doorstep to great me.I definatly think muscovys are a very good breed to raise if you want them tame.

6. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    Campbell Khakis....my lil gal is 4months old but she lives by herself. When I walk by she comes out of the hut and starts quaking at me. Then if i go in there she follows me and ill pick her up and she kinda gives me a hug with her neck [​IMG] So go with a Khaki

7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I have a muscovy girl who is very friendly. I pick her up and cuddle her, she's fine with it all. She loves the attention. She's also very bossy and is constantly trying to charge into the house [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by