Is ONE layer of 19 gauge 1" by 1" wire enough for the pen?

doudini2

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Hello,

last question before I start building the pen.
caf.gif
. I often heard you have to put two layers of wire around the perimeter of the pen. Why? Is one layer of 19 gauge galvanized wire enough? They sell 1/2 by 1/2 inch squares, or 1 by 1 inch squares. Nothing can get through such small holes, right? And is 19 gauge thicker then 14 or 16 gauge? Or do the numbers go the other way?

Please tell me what you think.
K.

Depends on where you are and what your predetors are like! I know a bunch of folks with 1 layer of chicken wire and have no problem. Others where a dog, cyote, coon, bobcat ect chewed right through it. Snakes can also fit in 1X1 so I never put babies in this. I have 2 great pyreneese so I have no predators and 1X1 chicken wire would be fine for me and I do have some chicken coops with this but my turkeys and peafowl are in chain link fence just in case! The double layer just adds a bit more protection but the cost of 2 layers would be more than 1 good one.

im building the same thing, im using chicken wire to keep out snakes(or in after they swallow an egg), but also going to run a chain-link around the bottom cause i have it. and to pretect valuable birds i might keep in there

on the chicken coop though its only chicken wire and a great pareness

He will not sleep there at night. But would it be enough to run another layer on the bottom part? What gauge and hole sizes should I pick? 2 by 2 inch and layer with 1/2 and 1/2 inch? What product and where should I look for the electric wire?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom