Is opening the incubator going to kill my quail?

teria

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2015
Salem Utah
I am in day 20 since I set my quail eggs (tuxedo, Rosetta, and jumbo browns) in my incubator. Put them in lockdown on day 15. Decided to float test them since nothing had happened yet. The first egg floated on its side but it's cheeping. The rest mostly floated as viable eggs. The shell on the cheeping egg has a small indentation and I gently scratched the shell to feel for any pipping and some of the shell came off in that spot. I put all the eggs back in the incubator and now it's been a few hours and nothing is happening. Did I kill it?

Opening the incubator will not kill your quail, but the float test very well might.

Opening the incubator won't affect the internal temperature of the eggs unless you leave it open for a long time.

As for the float test, the shell is porous, and the sudden temperature change isn't good either.

I would candle the remaining eggs. You can also hold one up to your ear and tap on it. You may hear cheeping or tapping back

Opening the incubator will not kill your quail, but the float test very well might.

Opening the incubator won't affect the internal temperature of the eggs unless you leave it open for a long time.

As for the float test, the shell is porous, and the sudden temperature change isn't good either.

I would candle the remaining eggs. You can also hold one up to your ear and tap on it. You may hear cheeping or tapping back

Thanks I'll give that a try. I did have the one peeping when I did the float test. It was the one that floated on its side.

Thanks I'll give that a try. I did have the one peeping when I did the float test. It was the one that floated on its side.
I never float test incubating eggs always candle them.
The one im using now is calibrated and I monitor it so it's doing fine.
Coturnix eggs usually hatch between 16 to 18 days, mine always start hatching about 16 1/2 days and finish by end of day 17.

Back
Top Bottom