Is our Eva actually an Evan?

ArianaMcGee

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
We got 7 new baby hens in late February to add to our existing backyard flock. Our ladies all have their own personalities, but Eva here is something else. We've never had a chicken as incredibly skittish as her. Skittish is not even the word - she goes berserk at bedtime (squawking and running for her life!) and it's an ordeal trying to put her in the coop with her sisters.

Supposedly she is a Barred Rock, but we've been having doubts because of her little Mohawk. We've also started wondering if she may in fact be a he because of that big tail and occasional cock a doodle doo-ing.

She's just such an odd duck and it's a shame that she is so scared of us!! She's been handled since birth with everyone else and as far as we know, has never had any negative interactions with humans. Any insight would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20230516_195955.jpg
    IMG_20230516_195955.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230516_195950.jpg
    IMG_20230516_195950.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Thank you! I do appreciate the validation and it's good to know we were on the right track as far as the Barred Rock thing goes.

My next question is: why on earth is she such a spaz? Any ideas? Or how we can work with her so she isn't mortally terrified of us? Yesterday at bedtime, she hid under a pile of thorny branches by our compost, not making a sound. It sounds like we are killing her when my husband finally manages to catch her, but he goes out of his way to be as gentle as he possibly can with her, and like i mentioned, we've never had this issue with any of our other chickens over the years! Help!

Thank you! I do appreciate the validation and it's good to know we were on the right track as far as the Barred Rock thing goes.

My next question is: why on earth is she such a spaz? Any ideas? Or how we can work with her so she isn't mortally terrified of us? Yesterday at bedtime, she hid under a pile of thorny branches by our compost, not making a sound. It sounds like we are killing her when my husband finally manages to catch her, but he goes out of his way to be as gentle as he possibly can with her, and like i mentioned, we've never had this issue with any of our other chickens over the years! Help!
Some birds are just like that, high strung and nervous

I have two really flighty hens but the funny thing is there breed counter parts are both super friendly!

No saddle or hackle feathers- and the red is age appropriate... seems like a pullet from visual cues.

Definitely NOT a purebred barred rock!! But a barred, white legged rooster (cuckoo Marans as said by @BastyPutt above) over a legbar hen would produce crested, barred, white legged chicks.

Without knowing exact heritage there are lots of other possibilities, but the above is 'simple math' based on the photo!!

Back
Top Bottom