Is Peepers sick? (pics inside)

Colie <3

Collecting my Cuties
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
Little Peepers is about 5 weeks old. She is a bantam Lavender Ameraucana. She is eating/drinking & pooping normally. She throws a fit whenever she is picked up or separated from her buddies hence her name "Peepers". She is walking and moving around fine and her little bum is all clear and not blocked up.
However she just seems "off" to me. She has a very ruffled appearance and often is very still and sleeping a lot more than the others. She's small compared to the other Ameraucana chick I have and doesn't seem very active in comparison. She most often can be found standing very groggily with her eyes half closed. She has been on medicated feed for the last few weeks, I've had her for 5 days and I'm feeding her Pro Manna chick starter that is medicated. Last night I fed everyone some mashed hard boiled egg to help with getting extra protein until I can go get another brand of feed that has higher levels. Here are some pictures of her from last night:
Peepers4-1.jpg

This is the other Ameraucana I have for comparison. It seems to be very vibrant and alert in comparison:
DSCN0259-1.jpg

Am I being a worry wart? She seems to be so different in demeanor from the other chicks that I keep wondering if she is ok. Advice and instruction would be very much welcome!

edited for typos
smile.png

Last edited:
I don't think you are being a worry wart. I would probably separate the bird and put it in a higher temperature environment.

I think I should add that when these guys were shipped to me the middle of last week they were in a small shipping box with another ameraucana and two bantam splash cochins that died during shipping. The box looked pretty beat up and I don't think they were handled well. These two were in bad shape when they arrived I initially thought they were going to die by nightfall. I got them both home and under a heat lamp and got food and water in them and they perked up quickly. It just seems that little Peepers didn't make a complete recovery perhaps? Do you think she might still be suffering ill effects from her shipping?

I think she should have perked up by now. All you can do is to continue with what you are doing and hope and pray for the best.
sad.png

I explained in the message I sent: she might have worms. I did forget to mention, though, that you should separate her, because the other birds will get it.
I hope she gets better.

I'm wondering if one of my silkies has worms now too because of the watery poo. It's one of the splashes and I can't remember which one now because they look so much alike dang...

Hm, you might separate her too. A dog krate, kennel, or small pen will work fine. I have this set of wooden pens in one structure that I use. They're small, but the birds don't mind when they're sick, because they cower up.

Sometimes chicks will fluff up like that when the have cocci what does the chicks stool look like?

Back
Top Bottom