Is Phoebe getting ready to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Aug 24, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I was out in the coop today and Phoebe did something I've never seen her do so I grabbed my phone and made a video. It was like she was squatting and trying to poo. Supposedly she's only 3 months old and is a Dark Brahma. Here is the video if you want to see what I'm talking back http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Link isn't taking me to a video for some reason...

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Hmm okay let me try that again

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Yeah, that's odd alright. I don't know. Looks like she's certainly trying to do something...either go to the bathroom or drop an egg. I've never seen that in any of my hens. Wish I could be more help. I can tell you I've watched numerous hens come of age and start laying, and I've never seen that before...

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Nuts, I was hoping I would be getting an egg. She did poo several times earlier and never did that.

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I mean, if I had to throw a wild guess out there, it was almost as if she was constipated. But I'm certainly no expert...hopefully someone who is will reply...

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have never seen that one before. My girls dont even do that when they are laying an egg.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It looks like she is trying to pass an egg. My RIR does that same squat when she lays her egg. That's really early for your brahma, her face is so red also. My brahma is 6 months old and still has a light pink face.

Maybe your brahma is older then you think?

9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Maybe the person I got them from said she thought they were 3 mos, but couldn't remember because she had two batches of the same breed of chickens. I have a White Cochin who also has a very red face, much more red then my Barred Rock Cross is is 17 weeks.

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Well thanks for your help everyone, I've been out there most of the day and no egg and she's pooping fine. I'll swing by the coop same time tomorrow and see if she does it again or if there are any eggs.

I'm wishing for an egg. We're down to one in the fridge LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by