Is Piperazine-17 ok to use for deworming?

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
Can I use it for deworming my chickens?
It was the only thing the store had available for chickens. They had Flenuraben (spelling?) but only in giant tubes of paste for horses and cows. The Piperazine-17 said to give 1 fluid ounce per gallon of water to chickens. I hate all these chemicals (normally I go organic) but my 3-month old is thin and has worms -- it's a rooster so I'm not worried about eggs (though meat at some point probably in 3 months or so).

If the piperazine is not ok, where do you get other drugs from? There is no TSC here.

Yes but most recommend you withdraw the eggs and meat for at least 10-15 days. You might look into Ivomec Eprinex. I used the Piperazine for the birds that aren't laying yet, my cats, and my dog. The Layers I wanted to keep in production so I used the Eprinex.

You can do a search on here for "Worming" or "Piperazine" or such and get a whole lot more info.

God Bless,

My chickens de-wormer water froze this evening. Does anyone know if I can just thaw the medicated water overnight in my house, then give it to them again tommorrow, if the Piperazine-17 will still be effective? Or do i have to mix up more "fresh" stuff for the 2nd day of worming treatment?

you always need to mix fresh daily. Do a search on the forum for some great ideas on how to keep your water de-thawed.

Back
Top Bottom