1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is raw turnip ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have some turnip from the garden and I was wondering if the chickens can eat it? It isn't cooked.

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    It's fine for them, but in my experience they probably won't eat it because of the strong, spicy taste.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yeah they might not like it. [​IMG]

4. 2emma2

2emma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mine did not touch the turnips I put in.

5. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Too bad, I was thinking about growing them turnips...greens in summer and the turnips themselves as food over winter. What if you cook them?

Any other root crops or squashes I could grow in pa that could be used as a primary over winter food if regular feeds were to become prohibitavely expencive?

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I gave mine some and they didn't touch them for a few days......then they started eating them. I guess the roots looked scary or something. Second time...same thing.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    similar to carrot and parsnip and apples with skin on it it is to hard for them to chip away at. As mentioned the strong smell and strong bite to the taste is a turnoff for my girls anyway. Good luck with that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by