Is Red Lake Earth right DE?

ekemily wrote: How much should food grade DE cost? thanks

Our feed store carries 50lb. bags for $24.95 (get their supply from Canton Mills in MN). However, the same `food grade' Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth is also sold as a `pesticide', in 2lb. bags, by a different company, for $8.95. The only difference is in the required labeling and in how informed the customer is.

Both ADE and the clay (in the Red Lake formulation) are GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) by the FDA.

I live in Minnesota and I buy the Red Lake Earth. The Red Lake Earth is Food Grade and it is not bleached. it is mixed with Volcanic Ash and I was told by someone very reliable that using straight DE is hard on our lungs and I would imagine even harder on a Chickens lungs or a Dogs Lungs. thats why it is mixed with volcanic Ash. I don't know the percentages of DE VS Volcanic Ash but the Chickens like it because it is real dusty for their dust baths. it can be used in their feed, dustbath (I mix it with play sand) Coop and on the birds themselves. I also use it on my dogs to kill Fleas and ticks and occasionally I mix it in their canned food to kill any worms or other parasites. one product and so many uses for it!!! You can buy it at Mills Fleet Farm here in MN. I bought a big jug of it at Uncle Earls Pets in New Prague MN. I love it !!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote: It's not intentionally "mixed" with anything.
The "volcanic ash" is the naturally occurring Bentonite Clay in the deposits where they dig it up.

ALL DE is bad for your lungs

I already purchased a jug of the RLE but it wasn't very expensive, I'm a bit paranoid to use it now after some of these posts. Since it's a small jug I think I might just use it for the ground of the run only and get some pure DE for feed and dusting.

Thank you for helping me to understand that the Bentonite Clay is just a part of the DE deposit where it is found up there. I was wondering about what it is, and it seems the Bentonite is a good thing to have in there.

AH Crap!! I got the Red Lake Diatomaceous Earth ......with Bentonite Clay.

Don't think that'll work as a mechanical pest killer. ....and didn't notice until I had spread it under the edge of the flooring.

It's not intentionally "mixed" with anything.
The "volcanic ash" is the naturally occurring Bentonite Clay in the deposits where they dig it up.

ALL DE is bad for your lungs

Yea and ALL volcanic ash is equally bad on your lungs. Don't take my word for it ask the people living in Pompeii in 79AD... Oh I forgot, the people living in Pompeii 2000 years ago aren't talking.

The 'food grade' (white or dove grey) is sold at my local holistic pet food store, $5 for a small quart sized bottle. It is not the best for flea's as I tried it on my dog, don't bite as much but are still there.
Got Red Lake DE at the feed store, asked them for Food Grade, internet search tells me main difference is it contains a bit of clay other minerals mixed in with the ocean shell fish that make up DE.
birds don't seem to like it. I have had reasonable luck keeping fly population down using it.
Usually use 'Sevin' dust for mites, may try this since I already have it although not highest of hopes seeing how dog flea's react to it.

Back
Top Bottom