Is Rooster Booster pick no more suitable for tiny bantam chick with sore bottom/pasty butt/ bare spots/ has been pecked after poor care at store?

catsndogs4us

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2016
I brought home mixed bantams yesterday because they looked in terrible shape and I couldn't leave them at the store like that. Each had horrible pasty butt and so much stuck on muck on bottoms and feet which I have slowly and carefully resolved over the past 24 hours. ( used epsom salt in warm water, vaseline, olive oil) Two of them are quite bare on the bottoms and one got pecked there and it drew a little blood. My thought is to try a peperation H cream or wipe followed by rooster booster pick no more (purple cream). I don't think the bantam has a full prolapse but one may be starting. They were in such sad and horrible shape I knew I may be bringing them home to give comfort care and warmth for their final hours but they are perking up. I'll work to ID later, two are easy, silkies but the other two I have no idea. Now I just need to get the healthy! The chick who is is need of the most treatment for her/his bottom MIGHT be an OEGB but that's just a guess.

Hydrocortisone cream or ointment might be a good thing to use. I haven’t used Pick No More, but it should be fine. Another good cream is Nustock horse cream which is good for peck wounds. Most feed stores sell it, and you can find it online. Make sure the chicks are not too hot, and dip their beaks into their water often, since pasty butt symptoms can happen up to 10 days with shipping, a brooder that is too hot, and dehydration.

Hydrocortisone cream or ointment might be a good thing to use. I haven’t used Pick No More, but it should be fine. Another good cream is Nustock horse cream which is good for peck wounds. Most feed stores sell it, and you can find it online. Make sure the chicks are not too hot, and dip their beaks into their water often, since pasty butt symptoms can happen up to 10 days with shipping, a brooder that is too hot, and dehydration.
Okay, thank you. They are 10 days old but still very tiny it sounds as if they were languishing in the store while the more productive layers were coming in and going out fast. I've never seen pasty butt (and pasty feet) to this extent.This was a feed store previously unknown to me. I was comparing prices on feeds and ended up coming home with these bantams. I'll get Nustock to try and then add to my animal first aid box, I do have hydrocortisone cream. I had to give water by dropper to one of the chicks last night it was so bad but now everyone is eating, drinking and even pooping! The chick being pecked on her sore bottom is the only light colored one I think her bare bottom shows more. I don't want to overload these babies but need to get this area healed or it could get worse as they get older. I was so worried that some of these chicks would die that I even found a way to get them outside for a short while even though we've just had more snow (I set up a small area in a greenhouse, when the sun was at its best, with a heat plate brooder/hen thing) so they could experiece the outdoors and dig in the dirt at least once. I think this helped them too.

I have used Pick no mor. I haven't used it since because it's about the same as axle grease, and it does awful things to adult feathers and it would just hammer chick down. And the stuff really doesn't work. I recommend no one buy it for any reason, even to use on wheel axles.

Continue giving sugar water to any lagging chicks. With proper heat, the pasty butt should cease to be an issue. I would also suggest using Poultry Nutri-drench in the water for a few days to boost their nutrients.

At the feed store I use, TSC, they are very attentive to their chicks, immediately removing any sick or injured chick from the floor display, and an employee actually takes these chicks home and nurses them back to health. Your feed store manager needs a good dressing down for ignoring the well being of the chicks under their care. Keeping quiet is the same as condoning this.

Thank you everyone for the additional advice, I'm glad to have a site like this for questions and concerns. This wasn't a TSC it was a very, very rural, small farm store. It's not a place I'd been to before. I've been looking around all sorts of places to compare as prices go up every month on feeds, shavings and such. I guess I was meant to be there this day. It sounded like they don't typically get bantams. I have no idea what they normally operate like, if this was an isolated issue or what. I sure hope it was isolated. I'd seen good reviews and drove out of my way to try it.

I've added hydrocortisone into the mix and won't use the purple pick no more tonight since pecking wont be an issue as they sleep in the dark under the brooder plate. I'll re-asses tomorrow and get anything new that's needed. I'll have to work tomorrow, will get up extra early to check on the chicks and do anything needed first and other family members will be home to keep an eye on things.

Also I'm keeping them very quarantined from the rest of my flock for at least 2 weeks and using good biosecurity.
20230325_134959.jpg

I'm very glad to report that the 4 bantams are dong very much better today!:jumpy They're downright feisty tonight and doing everything that healthy and well chicks do a this age. The hydrocortisone cream significantly reduced the swelling overnight for the worst chick and she/he seems in no danger of a prolapse now. I've just done another tiny dose of the cream and put Vaseline on the rears of all the bare bottom chicks for the night. I may be able to stop treatment tomorrow. Thank you again for suggestions. I didn't need to use the "pick no more".:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom