Is she a BSL or a BA?

ddmiddle7

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I got my chicks from Cackle hatchery back in April. I originally ordered BSL but when I contacted Cackle to find out when my order would be shipped, I was told that they were out of BSL's and that I could substitute them for something else or I would have to wait an extra month or so before they would be shipped. So, I ordered BA's instead. This way I would get my chicks in two weeks instead. Now that my chicks are about 16 weeks old I have been curious as to which black chickens I actually got. I think they actually sent me BSL's anyways instead of the replacement BA's that I changed to.
So, what did I end up getting?
81976_img_20110722_195325.jpg

81976_img_20110722_195646.jpg

Thanks,

Dereck

Last edited:
Thanks,
That is what I was thinking. that is good that I got the BSL, it is what I orginally wanted anyways. Hopefully she will be laying soon. She is all red in her comb and waddles and I've seen her doing the egg squat for a few days now....

Quote:
Here's a question I have, if BSL is RIR roo and BPR hen, both of them have yellow legs and beak. Your beautiful pullet has black beak and legs from what I can tell, and those characteristics belong to Australorp, or so I thought.

-- New to chickens, and I agree the neck feathering looks like BSL, but the legs, and the beak look like Australorp, IMO. Or maybe I'm just mistaken.

At anyrate, what a beautiful bird. If BSL then laying should start any day now.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's a question I have, if BSL is RIR roo and BPR hen, both of them have yellow legs and beak. Your beautiful pullet has black beak and legs from what I can tell, and those characteristics belong to Australorp, or so I thought.

-- New to chickens, and I agree the neck feathering looks like BSL, but the legs, and the beak look like Australorp, IMO. Or maybe I'm just mistaken.

At anyrate, what a beautiful bird. If BSL then laying should start any day now.

Yeah, that is why I was confused, she had red on her breast and the black legs. Her middle toenail is white on both feet and all the others are black nails. Does this matter or mean anything?

68634_dsc_0114-3.jpg

68634_dsc_0307.jpg

these are my two, the top one, colored sooner and has yellow legs.
The bottom one has dark legs and darker coloring.

Here is a shot of my Australorp pullet...solid black with a sheen of green:
68634_dsc_0114-2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Beautiful birds...Is the top one a BSL? She looks mostly red.

Yes her and #2, both from the same place. Amazing how different they are, #1 is so sweet and I HAVE to scoop her up every time I go out, #2, nothing to do with me!

Yours is a BSL. All of mine have had the black beaks and legs. And the coloring is so diverse in the breed that they can be mostly red like JodyJo's first picture, or mostly black with very little red.

Back
Top Bottom