Is she a he?

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
So I have this five months old chicken, sold as a New Hampshire, supposedly female. And yes, she looks like an adult chicken for me, but people around me are doubting (maybe because she's big, bully, and hasn't laid eggs yet?) and I've started doubting, too. Could this be a rooster? New Hampshire rooster or any other breed?
IMG_20210609_151652.jpg

So I have this five months old chicken, sold as a New Hampshire, supposedly female. And yes, she looks like an adult chicken for me, but people around me are doubting (maybe because she's big, bully, and hasn't laid eggs yet?) and I've started doubting, too. Could this be a rooster? New Hampshire rooster or any other breed?View attachment 2712113
Mixed breed rooster. I can’t believe it hasn’t crowed yet.

DAMN! I have another rooster and my flock isn't that big! What do I do now? You can't believe he's not crowing, I can't believe they haven't fought yet!

Last edited:
He was way younger when I got him, I'm super attached to him and I don't want to have to rehome him because he fights with his Plymouth Rock fellow...

And yes, **** this man, he sold me 2 chicks he had supposedly sexed as females. Turns out they were both male! I thought she was a she because she was smaller and because of the way "she" acted with him (submissive, like a partner)... Maybe I had 2 gay roosters, lol.

The problem is... I replaced that rooster (he got stolen and I bought another one), so this "NH" didn't 100% grow up with the Plymouth Rock I have now... I know that if two roosters grow up together they don't fight a lot, but them...?

He was way younger when I got him, I'm super attached to him and I don't want to have to rehome him because he fights with his Plymouth Rock fellow...

And yes, **** this man, he sold me 2 chicks he had supposedly sexed as females. Turns out they were both male! I thought she was a she because she was smaller and because of the way "she" acted with him (submissive, like a partner)... Maybe I had 2 gay roosters, lol.

The problem is... I replaced that rooster (he got stolen and I bought another one), so this "NH" didn't 100% grow up with the Plymouth Rock I have now... I know that if two roosters grow up together they don't fight a lot, but them...?
sometimes yes, sometimes no. It all depends on how many females are available.

I assume you're in the UK or elsewhere in Europe? Appears to be a New Hampshire, they're bred to a bit of a different standard overseas and seem to be more popular. I see absolutely no reason to think he's a mix or Production Red, likely other posters are just used to lines from the US. He's definitely a cockerel. :)

Back
Top Bottom