Is she a he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkypie, Jan 8, 2010.

1. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    This little baby laid 1 egg about 4 months ago and now for the past 2 months it crows all day/night and chases the other chickens. (S)he is very protective over the other chickens as well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sorry, I'm not good with sexing silkies, but if you are certain the egg came from THIS chicken, then it is certainly a female. Males don't ever lay eggs. However females do sometimes crow, particularly if there is no rooster in the flock (i.e., the "head" hen may crow).

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have no experience with silkies, but if you're sure it laid an egg then it's a girl. You might want to add something to your title like "Is she a he? *silkie experts please*" or something like that. There are lots of silkie experts that surf the forum. You also might want to list the age of the chicken and if you can get a close up picture of its comb that would be helpful. Good luck!

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, are you SURE this chicken laid an egg? Because if you didn't give that info, I wouldn't hesitate at all. That bird looks all roo.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Agree totally. I have had a game hen crow and I also had roos but that did not stop her. Strange. [​IMG]

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    He has pointy hackle feathers. And a boyish crest. Are you SURE that egg came from him??

7. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    At that time he/she was in a the same pen as 3 Plymouth Rocks and were kept separate from the older chickens. We went in there one day and there was a small whitish egg, could that have been the silky egg?

8. PremierSilkies

PremierSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    That would be a rooster, [​IMG]

C

9. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Perhaps the egg was just a fart egg from one of your large chickens, that would also explain the white or light color - often those are lighter.

10. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    looks like a rooster to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by