Is She a She? Our Coturnix Quail

Paaz1120

Chirping
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Mesa, AZ
I believe she is a she! Can anyone help me get the deffinate answer?
smile.png

She is about a 1.5 months old. Very sweet and tame!
Out of our Golden Male (Gizmo) and our Tibetan Female (Wendy)

57599_cinnamon_coturnix_quail.jpg

Thank you SOO much in advance!!

looks like a girl...........you can vent sex really easy! slightly press on the top of the vent and if white foam comes out.............boy. No foam will be a girl, of course they have to be mature to do this

I must say I was pretty sure she was a female, BUT she was in with one our male and he pretty much scalped her pretty bad!
So she is in Rehad in my room in our brooder. she is healing and still spunky!

But when he scalped her thats when I started to question myself. but after I decided it was a female I asked 2 our our males and they
both told us it was a girl. So i dont know if our Male just got a Little too rough with her or what.

Thank you!!

Sometimes they just don't like each other for some reason. We've found that birds who have just reached sexual maturity are often picked on by fully mature birds. Definitely looks like a girl, so I say separate her for a few days and then try again. Good luck!

Thank you soo much!! I felt terrible! Her injury is Really deep (He took the skin off completely!) but just since yesterday she looks soo much better!

I have kept it clean, put antibiotics on and keeping her calm.
I think she likes all the attention! lol
big_smile.png

Thank you again!!

Last question:

do you think the male would do the same thing to her when I put her back in with them?

He just turned 4 months old, she is about 1.5 month old.

I am line breeding her back to her father.

I figured he would, I'm going to wait until she starts to lay before I put her back in with him.
Right now I just want her to heal and relax.

I just bought two Coturnix Quail that are about 6 weeks old. One looks like the one in the photo but the other one has a gold chest and a black necklace around the neck and a very prominent white "Y" over the eyes. Are they the same breed? I don't know much about quail at this point.

Back
Top Bottom