Is she being picked on?

longlegz86

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Rutherfordton NC
My smaller of 4 Barred Rock hens seemed to have several feathers missing round her neck this morning. I am not sure if the others are picking on her because she is smaller or what. There is one BR that is alittle fiesty so I was wondering.........Could the bigger fiesty one be picking on her? This isn't the time for Molting is it? ......... Thanks

Here she is:

Last edited:
If your chickens are over a year old, molt is possible. It's also possible she could be picked on, you'll have to observe them. Crowding can cause picking/pecking. Inspect her for lice/mites as well.

If your chickens are over a year old, molt is possible. It's also possible she could be picked on, you'll have to observe them. Crowding can cause picking/pecking. Inspect her for lice/mites as well.

They are very skiddish and I cant even pick them up. Ive only had them for a little over a week now. I have a 8X8X10' pen so its not crowding lol. She is smaller so I think they are messing with her but I cant say for sure. I hope its not lice/mites. How do I tell if I cant get close?
hu.gif

Quote:
You're going to have to physically pick her up and inspect her. You can do it at night when they go to sleep. If it's not external parasites and you think they are picking on her, she will have to learn her place in the pecking order. I would only intervene if there was an injury if it's a pecking order issue.

But I would do like dawg suggested, catch her at night and check her for injuries and/or mites/lice.
Will do.. I just caught them all sitting together and they were being nice...so I think its probably the rooster thing. He needs to have his way with all of them bc im still not getting eggs yet. lol

Will do.. I just caught them all sitting together and they were being nice...so I think its probably the rooster thing. He needs to have his way with all of them bc im still not getting eggs yet. lol
You don't need a rooster to get eggs. Your hen is still young, so give her time.

Back
Top Bottom